Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LCD to OLED Change

Hi guys,

I'm starting to work a little bit with electronics and displays and I have myself a little (i hope) project to start.

I have an old alarm at home that the LCD has some lines fading away. I would like to replace it.. but with a better one I would like to use an OLED SCREEN instead.

Is it a straight swipe? do I need a new controller? where can I find one? Thanks for your help!!

This his the existent screen:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/POW...01-KL-SN108-94V-0-LCD-screen/32375478209.html

Attachments

• 20170804_160630.jpg
    20170804_160630.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20170804_160711.jpg
    20170804_160711.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 108
Looking at the data sheet for that LCD ($85 for a $5 display!) it seems to need 8-bit parallel data, whereas AFAIK all OLED displays use I2C (2 pin).

Your photo of the back of the LCD shows some kind of circuit board attached. Is that the alarm board?
The reason for asking is, some LCD's come with a driver board attached to the back, which converts I2C input to parallel output to drive the LCD. If you have one of these, you are in luck, there will be just 4 wires to connect.

However, I think this is unlikely to be the case. Building a converter would be difficult at best, close to impossible, more likely.

If I had this, I would just replace the LCD with a new one, they're cheap, $5 or $6 from Amazon.

Other than almost all the pins being different, and probably the addressing modes being completely different... maybe. Maybe meaning if I could get one for a couple of bucks, I would be willing to try. I wouldn't feel too bad about tossing it after the magic smoke escapes. For anything more costly than that, I wouldn't try.

As an alternative, you might find that the alarm electronics are quite simple, and easily replaced with a cheap Arduino or similar, which would mean you could then use almost any display of your choice.