Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need a looping digital timer

I am hunting for a product that I have yet to find so I am seeking recommendations. I am looking for a digital timer that will count up to a minute and then automatically loop and start over and keep looping a 1 minute timer. Thank you guys in advance for your help!

A looping one minute timer?
What does it have to switch? (Load, AC or DC)
Do you want a complete product or are you looking for an IC?
Finally, what level of precision do you need?
How long would the 'off' time be?
A 555 astable might be what you want. (Or a cheap $1 timer from eBay.)

A bit more info would help.

Yep. There are a lot of commercially available timers for this purpose, but they can be expensive.
We're kind of in the dark about if this is a work-related issue that is a critical application, or a hobby circuit you're working with.
Old Steve has some good questions for you about your application.

Yep. There are a lot of commercially available timers for this purpose, but they can be expensive.
We're kind of in the dark about if this is a work-related issue that is a critical application, or a hobby circuit you're working with.
Old Steve has some good questions for you about your application.
And that was the concise list. You should have seen the first one. :D

I figured that Old Steve. I'm thinking Dexter Wilks has a pretty simple idea in mind, it's just that we dn't know what it is.
I have no doubt you can get down into the weeds with this if it turns out to be a more complex issue.
Your concise list oughtta get him and us in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Typical newbie question, asking for a product instead of a solution to whatever the real problem is. @Dexter Wilks please describe what you are trying to do rather than tell us a "looping digital timer" is the best solution.

Oh, and welcome to Electronics Point. Lot of good help here if you ask the right questions.

Typical newbie question, asking for a product instead of a solution to whatever the real problem is. @Dexter Wilks please describe what you are trying to do rather than tell us a "looping digital timer" is the best solution.

Oh, and welcome to Electronics Point. Lot of good help here if you ask the right questions.
My first thought was a stopwatch. It even has the added feature of counting how many times it's looped. ;)

Without knowing anything else about what needs to be done it's difficult to recommend anything useful.

WOW thank guys for so much help so far! Basically, I have an assembly line at work and I need the workers to be conscious of how many units they are putting out every minute. So just a battery powered, Digital clock, that Counts up to 1 minute over and over again that they can use to help keep their pace up.

EDIT: In addition, the clock will be used indoors with no irregularities.

Any real-time clock counts up to 1 min repeatedly. What do you want yours to do when each minute is up? Beep? Flash a LED? Play the Stars & Stripes? ....?

I imagine you want it to make a sound, so they don't have to take their eyes off the work.
A 555 timer configured as an astable, set to one minute cycles, triggering a second 555 set up as a monostable, with a short period and a small DC buzzer attached would do what I think you want.
You could use a 556 dual timer chip for this, with each half providing the above functions.
Add a battery, and Bob's your uncle. ;)

Edit: I'm flat-out right now, but if that's what you want, and you're capable of soldering up a circuit on a veroboard or similar, I could draw up a schematic later in the day, if no one else has done it by then.
It could also be run from a 9V or 12V DC regulated plugpack instead of a battery.

Last edited:
There are a TON of timer modules on ebay. Here is one with digital settings for $9. Or you can follow Steve's idea - two 555-based timer modules can be tied together to form a cycle timer for about $3. No soldering.

ak

You just need a 555 with a buzzer.
59 seconds LOW 1 sec HIGH.
Don't spend any more than $3.50 - the workers are not worth it.
Just work them into the ground.
I suggested two 555s, (a 556), rather than one because the buzzer time could be adjusted independently, but you're right, one would do it. (I just drew up a similar timer circuit for a watch winder.)

And a slightly more advanced version might be better still - one that also counts the number of units the workers complete in one minute, then gives them an electric shock if it's below a preset quota. :D

Arduino pro mini, small battery, start switch and a piezo buzzer.
Overkill, don't you think? I don't think he wants to become a programmer, he just wants a simple timer.
How much is an Arduino Pro Mini? More than $1, I'll bet. That's about what a 556 costs.

@Dexter Wilks, I'm still prepared to draw that circuit if you want to go that way. Just let me know if it is.
And if a fixed one-second buzzer period is all you want, I could draw up Colin's circuit even faster.

@AnalogKid, you forgot the link.

Last edited:
Basically, I have an assembly line at work and I need the workers to be conscious of how many units they are putting out every minute.

Seems you don't want a timer or a clock, it is called a rate counter.
Red Lion is one maker of these, you may find cheaper on ebay.
M.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
... Basically, I have an assembly line at work and I need the workers to be conscious of how many units they are putting out every minute. ...
Excellent description of what you want to do.

Personally, I don't believe a timer is going to be very useful as an aid to production. You need something that counts the number of units completed every minute, providing the worker with a running display average of the rate of completion. For each unit completed, a counter is incremented either by the worker or by a sensor on a conveyor belt. To display the rate of completion, you divide the number of units by the elapsed time in minutes, a job for a microcontroller which will also display a running average of the rate of completion on a digital numeric display.

By running average, I mean you accumulate a certain number of unit counts, say ten units, and divide by the time elapsed from the first unit to the tenth unit thus displaying the average completion rate per ten units. Display this result. Then for the next completed unit, you divide by the time elapsed from the second unit to the eleventh unit and update the display. And so on for each subsequent unit, thereby computing a running average that is updated and displayed for each unit completed but is averaged over the last ten units. There is nothing magic about computing the running average over the last ten units completed. Pick any number, including as little as one unit. The important thing is to make the action that increments the unit counter as unobtrusive to the assembly process as possible. It is also important to use an accurate timing source to avoid cumulative timing errors. An RC timer is not the best choice for this.

There are geared synchronous clock motors operating from the power line frequency available that rotate their output shaft at one revolution per minute. Attach a cam and a microswitch to illuminate an LED or sound a buzzer or whatever once each minute. These are a bit pricey if purchased new, but you may be able to find an inexpensive one on Ebay.

Perhaps the simplest incentive to maximum production rate is an analog clock with a sweep second hand mounted next to a totalizer that counts the units completed. The worker can easily relate their production rate to elapsed time after a little practice. It helps to offer a bonus for number of units completed above a minimum rate, although this can also cause quality problems if a worker falls behind the target rate and attempts to play catch up. Solve this by setting reasonable minimum rates of production.

Good luck supervising and motivating workers on an assembly line. I would rather try herding cats.

Excellent description of what you want to do.

Personally, I don't believe a timer is going to be very useful as an aid to production. You need something that counts the number of units completed every minute, providing the worker with a running display average of the rate of completion. For each unit completed, a counter is incremented either by the worker or by a sensor on a conveyor belt. To display the rate of completion, you divide the number of units by the elapsed time in minutes, a job for a microcontroller which will also display a running average of the rate of completion on a digital numeric display.

By running average, I mean you accumulate a certain number of unit counts, say ten units, and divide by the time elapsed from the first unit to the tenth unit thus displaying the average completion rate per ten units. Display this result. Then for the next completed unit, you divide by the time elapsed from the second unit to the eleventh unit and update the display. And so on for each subsequent unit, thereby computing a running average that is updated and displayed for each unit completed but is averaged over the last ten units. There is nothing magic about computing the running average over the last ten units completed. Pick any number, including as little as one unit. The important thing is to make the action that increments the unit counter as unobtrusive to the assembly process as possible. It is also important to use an accurate timing source to avoid cumulative timing errors. An RC timer is not the best choice for this.

There are geared synchronous clock motors operating from the power line frequency available that rotate their output shaft at one revolution per minute. Attach a cam and a microswitch to illuminate an LED or sound a buzzer or whatever once each minute. These are a bit pricey if purchased new, but you may be able to find an inexpensive one on Ebay.

Perhaps the simplest incentive to maximum production rate is an analog clock with a sweep second hand mounted next to a totalizer that counts the units completed. The worker can easily relate their production rate to elapsed time after a little practice. It helps to offer a bonus for number of units completed above a minimum rate, although this can also cause quality problems if a worker falls behind the target rate and attempts to play catch up. Solve this by setting reasonable minimum rates of production.

Good luck supervising and motivating workers on an assembly line. I would rather try herding cats.
I still think the electric shock for under-production is a good idea. :D

Overkill, don't you think? I don't think he wants to become a programmer, he just wants a simple timer.
How much is an Arduino Pro Mini? More than $1, I'll bet. That's about what a 556 costs.

There was no mention of cost that I saw, just they wanted ideas on how to do it.