Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to switch off an audio signal

hi guys

I need help with a switch that needs to operate to cut off a feed when a voltage is applied
I was thinking of using a transistor as a switch.

The Switch will be disabling a microphone as one of the Microphones wires pass through the switch /transistor that is always on.

So needs to be low voltage I will be supplying the switch from a sound control sensor switch with an adjustable Delay time:±10-30s

And basically that's it'.

What type of switch or transistor should i be looking for on ebay please

Really appreciate any help
smiley.gif

ha sorry if the question is confusing but i don't know how to explain it. Big thanks for replying :)

Ok I am a novice to electronics,

Im not really sure how to explain it lol here goes

I have made a robot that Listens through Voice recognition software and responds with recorded voice samples by Macro commands.

It works fantastic but' I have one small problem

When the robot speaks the microphone picks up the sound loop and triggers off another command without finishing off the last sentence.

So what I need is when sound is playing through the speaker the microphone is switched off.

I was thinking of using a sound to light device and instead of the voltage feeding a light it will go to a switch that when a voltage applied turns off.

So one of the microphones wires will pass through a switch that is always in the contact position and then when the voltage is applied the contact opens up therefore disconnecting the microphone.

I have searched for a month and been on many forums asking help but all I got was ignorance and abuse I cannot understand why its a perfectly logical question.

So what I am looking for is a switch that is always on and when a low DC voltage applied it turns of / disconnect's the input - output

I hope I have explained a bit better and will be very grateful if anyone can tell me what the switch or device is called that I am looking for. :)

ha sorry if the question is confusing but i don't know how to explain it. Big thanks for replying :)

Ok I am a novice to electronics,

Im not really sure how to explain it lol here goes

I have made a robot that Listens through Voice recognition software and responds with recorded voice samples by Macro commands.

It works fantastic but' I have one small problem

When the robot speaks the microphone picks up the sound loop and triggers off another command without finishing off the last sentence.

So what I need is when sound is playing through the speaker the microphone is switched off.

I was thinking of using a sound to light device and instead of the voltage feeding a light it will go to a switch that when a voltage applied turns off.

So one of the microphones wires will pass through a switch that is always in the contact position and then when the voltage is applied the contact opens up therefore disconnecting the microphone.

I have searched for a month and been on many forums asking help but all I got was ignorance and abuse I cannot understand why its a perfectly logical question.

So what I am looking for is a switch that is always on and when a low DC voltage applied it turns of / disconnect's the input - output

I hope I have explained a bit better and will be very grateful if anyone can tell me what the switch or device is called that I am looking for. :)
Shame on the other Forums. You come to the right one, you will not get this on here. I mean that, this is not what EP is about. If you do please let me know.
Adam

Shame on the other Forums. You come to the right one, you will not get this on here. I mean that, this is not what EP is about. If you do please let me know.
Adam

Yes I went on the Robotics forums and not one person would answer me in over a month and I went on the Microsoft Voice recognition forum as I was going to do the switching on/off by programing but they all seemed to be a bit stuck up and not wanting to part with information.

In the end the main guy still refused to tell me and said "Quite frankly mate I wouldn't waste my time or effort on such a project"

I was quite upset as I haven't said or done anything wrong I just needed a little help of the clever people.

IC analogue switch absolutely fantastic that is all I needed thank you sir what a star

Ive entered a competition in the UK with my project now things are looking up :)

A couple of things...
-May be better to short-circuit to ground the microphone while the speaker is active instead of leaving it floating with the switch and get hum.
-If you built the robot, there could be a software solution by inserting a program line to ground/ignore the microphone input while the speaker is active.

Can you post a schematic of what you have? I see a small issue of knowing when the input speech has ended and when the output speech starts. Is there a clear distinction that your circuit can recognize? Then it's a pretty simple (he bites his tongue!) to sense the output and use the analog switch to disconnect the input...plus a short delay to be sure the output is completed.

But, without your circuit it's just my 2 cents.

Ken