Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hot Wire in Salt Water.

Hello,everyone.
I'm working on making a Switch to go inside of a Diving Regulator.I want it to be mounted inside,and be actuated by the Diaphragm(on taking a breath)..This will be a McGyver setup,since I live in a Remote part of Colombia,with not much choice of Parts/Supplies.Would this switch work in Salt Water,without being Waterproof?..In other words,can I run the Positive Wire from the Battery,down inside the Air Hose to a bare set of contact Points, actuated by the Diaphragm.Would it just SHORT OUT,or what.? It's a 12v Bat,and a small Air Compressor(8amp 100w that I need to be actuated on drawing each Breath.to save Battery power.(not running continuously)

Putting something like that in a Sealed unit is proving to be difficult.Thanks for any Input...

stoneshirt.

Under stress you could be taking a breath very frequently. I doubt your compressor would survive long being switched on/off frequently. That said, a small sealed reed switch could perhaps be actuated by a magnet attached to the diaphragm and could then trigger a relay (or solid-state switch) at the surface to control the compressor. Any bare conductor in contact with salt water will rapidly corrode through electrolysis.

Alec.Thanks.at least you understood my writing about my problem...Haha....That is a good idea you have.
I search in Chest deep Water on the Beach for Jewelry.I will just need the Hookah for ducking down and finding/digging the Target.I have written 5 different Manufacturers of Compressors asking about cycling a Compressor,and running it fully pressurized and such..,no One would give me a straight answer,most replied "are you a Customer?)....I'll give it some more thought.I thought that with a 8Amp Motor,being run by an 8amph Battery would give me an Hours running time,but someone told me there is less than an Hour ,due to some Laws of Electric usage,where you don't actually get what the Specs state?...stoneshirt..

Harald Kapp

Think about adding a pressure tank and a pressure regulating valve between compressor and mouthpiece. The compressor would be activated only now and then to fill the tank - at a higher pressure than you need at the mouthpiece. This would be controlled by a pressure sensitive switch within the tank.
The regulating valve will reduce the pressure to a manageable pressure you can actually breathe.
This setup will operate the compressor less often, but then for a longer time.

Note: I'm by no means an expert in this technology. You use any advice at your own risk.
Whatever construction you chose: I recommend you get some expert local support in constructing this contraption when your life depends on it.