Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help! Transistor radio converted into amp

its a zenith royal 46 all transistor radio model r46j, but i just noticed it has a place for a 6 v adapter, and when i cracked it open the battery thing fell apart... and it has a loose wire, i have just purchased a book from amazon on how to fix transistor radios... so I'm hoping to inspect and fix them up to where I can then convert them. The other one I actually want to work on first is not here yet, but it looks similar to the one in the video and is branded Audition

*here's
and also I don't know if this is also battery powered or was supposed to be, but this seems broken here too.

Attachments

• anne's phone pics 033.jpg
    anne's phone pics 033.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 48

Soulwyvern84 . . . . . .

You say . . . .

" I have about 5 different ones I want to convert. "

What 'cha trying to do there . . . . start up a little cottage industry ?
And is an adjunct KickStart funding about to be evolving, therewith ?

You would be wanting to use the radio with the largest speaker, which typically should relate to the largest case.

Your mentiuoned Zenith R46J should have a big enough speaker to work with.

Your relating to another Zenith and Royal, would only be to their intermediate 700 "Lunchbox" series sizes or one of
the deluxe and reknown Transoceanic versions.

http://radiojayallen.com/zenith-royal-700-series-the-lunchbox-radios/

The Royal 500 and the lower series are mere shirtpocket sized units with their wee speakers.

On your Annes phone # 032 photo . . . .and considering that connector to be the receptacle for the input from the AC power to 9 VDC wall wart adapter.
I see three wires RED-BLACK-BLUE but not with enough detail to reveal the one broken off.
You just need to locate the terminal with a solder blob on it and having all of the micro lengths of broken wire shards imbedded within it.

On your Annes phone # 033 photo . . . . I am seeing the conventional rectangular battery connector that goes to a 9V rectangular battery.
BUT the insulator has snapped in half and apparently a person has snapped the two male and female connectors halves together to preclude loosing the unconnected half.
The intact wire looks to be the red one with the black one being the broken / disconnected one for the loose part.
This family of connectors, complete with leads, are available new.

What radio , with you giving its brand and model, will initially be needing any schematic consultation for wiring tracing / jack connection ?

73's de Edd

Lol, just trying to initialize some dream my dad and I wanted to do a long time ago. We wanted to make a shop where musicians could buy inexpensive stuff he and I made. I thought of it when I was younger when he gave me a Cort electric guitar and a diy flanger he put together. He gave me an electronics component handbook before we stopped talking. He passed in 2009. I saw the amp conversion on youtube and it brought back memories of our little "dream" and I was so intimidated by that electronics component handbook when he told me he was going to test my knowledge... I realized I can't let fear of not knowing how to do something overrule my desire to do it. I have three radios in the apartment right now. The "Audition" came through ups, and its the one I really actually want to start with. but it runs on 4x 1.5v batteries which I never knew existed and the battery compartment looks like it needs a little help, so i tried to clean it up, but I don't have the correct batteries as of yet. the Zenith Royal 46 I am totally sure you're right it looked like a place for a 9 v that snapped in half, as of the blue wire, I have no idea what it is yet. The book i got on how to fix the transistor radios is old... But i think I'd like to fix the battery compartment to the "Audition" transistor radio, then see if it works, if so cut the ac plug off and then try to figure out exactly how to convert it. I think its model number is 2205-1 but it's hard to tell the model number is almost half gone...

And here is the last one I have that totally works. It's an RCA am only transistor radio. I used c batteries in it and it works well. I have a G.E radio on the way and also a Motorola radio. I think the RCA is the biggest one. And it doesn't need fixin'. So should I use that one to try out the conversion? I don't know the model of the RCA. I'll look a little later. My night owl butt needs some rest.

Attachments

• IMG_20160210_044639.jpg
    IMG_20160210_044639.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 59

Mme Soulwyvern84 . . . . . . . . . . . .

Since plastic warps and bends due to the tensioning exerted by spring loaded batteries . . . .you can still get replacement holders .
or you could also have a problem with caustic eroded contacts . . . . damaged beyond easy repair.
So look and find your battery clusters configuration.

Battery holders :
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...p=AA+battery+holders&fr=yfp-t-201&fr2=piv-web

The number given is the valid and complete Audition model number .
The Audition . . .is battery powered only, thereby having no AC provision.

9GxZdKZ.jpg

73's de Edd

Really? try touching the terminals of a 12V car battery. They can supply 400A. Why no whack? Or, if you prefer, charge up a 10000uF cap from the car battery and see if that will give you a whack.

As long as there are no capacitors charged to more than about 30V there is not danger of shock, unless you puncture the skin or use your tongue as a probe.

Bob
Go and charge up an ignition suppressor cap, one from the old kettering type(one across the points), approx 0.047uF if i remember correctly.
See if that livens up your senses.

Thank you guys for all of your suggestions and help. I'm going to read my electronics books first and foremost, get the appropriate tools for the job and then see if I can't do this thing. I hope I can do this. Thanks!