Maker Pro
Maker Pro

headset mic & sound not working simultaneously

I bought a headset a mere few days ago and already I am experiencing a major issue. If I connect my mic and my sound jack to my laptop at the same time, the mic doesn't work, or it works but isn't clear, or it works for a while but then stops working after a few minutes, or the sound output gets detected by the mic and is heard by the other person, but sometimes when I stick the jacks in and out and tinker with it it will work properly, but now it is just too unreliable, unstable, and too much of a hassle.
I don't know if the problem is crosstalk, my laptop, the design of the headset is wrong, or the design of the laptop is wrong, or if there is not enough voltage being supplied by the laptop because sometimes my usb devices don't work properly unless I connect them to a laptop via a powered usb hub (a usb hub with a plug to the outlet).
I wonder if there is some kind of shielding that I could maybe try to apply? Or maybe some kind of "powered jack input connector" for the headset jacks to ensure that it is getting the proper voltage.
Also, I have attached some pictures to show what I mean by the design of the headset or the laptop seems questionable. The way the mic jack is wired to the sound jack is weird, and the way the mic and sound are side by side is also weird.
Please could you help me?

Attachments

• P1050455.JPG
    P1050455.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 122
  • P1050456.JPG
    P1050456.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 163

Harald Kapp

I suggest you try the headset on another computer and/or another headset with this same computer to isolate the problem:
  • If the same headset works fine on another computer, the issue is with your computer, else it is probably the headset causing trouble.
  • If another headset works fine with your computer, it is probably the headset casuing trouble.

What happens when you jiggle the cables where they go into the plugs? Does the behavior change? In that case shortening the cables by a few centimeters and re-wiring them to new plugs may help (but may not be worth the effort, depending on the cost of the headset).

davenn

Also, I have attached some pictures to show what I mean by the design of the headset or the laptop seems questionable. The way the mic jack is wired to the sound jack is weird, and the way the mic and sound are side by side is also weird.

nothing wrong with that, just a tidy way of doing the cabling

follow Harald's suggestions and report back