Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hall Sensor / Current Transducer Question

Hi I am using a Hall Sensor or Current Sensor transducer for a project in college. This is the link for the component here > http://ie.farnell.com/honeywell-s-c/csla2dj/current-sensor-transducer/dp/1703967?ost=1703967

There is one thing confusing me, I understand how it can output a DC current/voltage from an AC input. I just don't understand what role the DC voltage supply has, it says on the spec that max supply voltage is 12V & min supply voltage is 6V.

If you could help that would be great!

Harald Kapp

Welcome to electronicspoint.

A hall sensor operates by detecting the deflection of a current within a semicondustir material by an ambient magnetic field. The external DC supply is used to create the sense current through the sensor. The sensor will then output a voltage in response to the external magnetic field.
Therefore a Hall sensor will output DC voltage for a constant magnetic field and AC voltage for an alternating magnetic field or a mixed voltage (DC+AC) if the magnetic field has both a ststic and an alternating component.

A typical application is the contact-free measurement of an electric current by measuring the magnetic field produced by this current. This is what the sensors you use were designed for.Contrary to current transformers, Hall sensors are able to measure DC current, too (current transformes, as any wire-wound transformer, can measure AC current only.

A pure Hall sensor will not, however, output a DC voltage for an AC magnetic field. This will require rectification (and possibly filtering and amplification). I don't see where the datasheet states that the sensor delivers DC voltage from an AC magnetic field. What it does state is that the output is ratiometric, meaning that the output voltage depends on both the magnitude of the magnetic field as well as the supply voltage. The consequence thereof is that you should use a well stabilized supply voltage to get consistent measurements of the current, or use the supply voltage (or a voltage derived from it by ratiometric division - resistive divider) as reference for an ADC (if you're going to digitize the sensor output).

Cheers,
Harald

Thanks for your reply Harald, you cleared up a of confusion for me here.

Could I just ask you one more question? If I were to have two hall sensors. And ff the length and the amount of flux in the two cables were the exact same.

Would I see a difference in results between a 6V supply in one and a 12V supply in the other? Would one be more accurate than the other or would the results be the same?

Because according to my lecturer the output will be the average of VCC & GND. So if I had one circuit set to
VCC = 6V & GND = 0V, Output =3V
and the other
VCC = 12V & GND = 0V, Output = 6V.

What would be the difference to the output?

Harald Kapp

Would I see a difference in results between a 6V supply in one and a 12V supply in the other? Would one be more accurate than the other or would the results be the same?
From the 12V supply you will see a higher output than from the 6V supply. But since the suply voltage is the reference for the output, the accuracy will be the same in % of full scale.