Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Good Resource For Learning Bjt Transistors And Amplifier

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I agree with the above two posts.

I guess I see "base current controls collector current" as a useful simplification when applied to a very common first use of a transistor. If this is as far as someone goes it will be sufficient.

I agree that if you teach the diode first (presumably going into detail about the relationship between V and I through the device -- and let's exclude some of the more exciting devices) then you can easily explain transconductance on the basis of what is already assumed knowledge.

Presumably also when discussing the relationship between V and I in the diode you would also have indicated that destructive (to practical devices) currents will floor if the diode is connected to an inappropriate voltage source.

Armed with that, an attentive student would come to the same conclusion about the BE junction of a bjt. If they don't, you point then back to their notes or text and get them to read about diodes again.

Unfortunately, if someone wants a very quick explanation, that's going to take too long and you'll get TL;DR.

Like it or not, many people are exposed to electronics in an order that makes no sense from a teaching perspective. I assist people (in meatspace) in a regular microcontroller user group meeting. There are many there for whom ohms law is a concept for their future self.

In real life is a lot easier to see people's eyes glaze over. And outside the lecture theatre it's a bit rich to consider that their problem.

If they know that they have a small current available from their microcontroller output pin and their relay requires a higher current (and let's assume they don't need to be told this) then they are not going to want to sit through Vbe, diffusion of electrons and transconductance before finally getting to the practical "I need a resistor of about this value to allow a small but sufficient current into the base in order for a larger current to be switched through the transistor to pull in the relay.". I'd prefer to leave them with sufficient knowledge to tackle this task themselves next time and I already have the burden of introducing them to ohms law and inductance. If the simple practical task of driving a relay is not going to become the entire topic for the evening, it has to be done at a high level.

I really don't want to have to say "you apply a voltage, but don't apply a voltage, apply a current. But you can't apply a current, you apply a voltage with a series resistor and it will create a potential divider with the BE junction and the right voltage will appear there to enable the current to flow. How do we calculate it? Well let's assume the variable Vbe is actually a constant..."

I have had no problem with people understanding that a particular view of operation is a simplification that won't hold true if you push it too far.

However I've seen too much information (especially if it seems superfluous at the time) cause people to lose interest and drift off.

To turn this back to the topic, I'm not sure that presenting "Ib controls Ic" to the OP would have been the right thing (in fact I would assume the contrary). I assume he would be asked questions based on the information presented in lectures he has missed, which I further assume was in more see detail than I would present to someone who wants something in 5 minutes or less.

I was just assuring the person who linked to the video that while it may not have been appropriate (but who knows) it was simply presenting a simplification that some people don't like, but that others are OK with.

And then I was pointing out that any explanation that doesn't include all the details is necessarily wrong. However wrong does not imply useless (e.g. Newtonian physics for cases most people see in their daily lives). And while I agree with the "simpler, but not too simple" quote, I disagree with others on what "too simple" means.

Steve, in the first part of your contribution you have mentioned the "current/voltage debate" regarding the BJT control mechanism. It was not my intention to repeat or to extend the discussion about this specific question. If you read my posts again you will notice that I didn`t mention these terms at all (following davenn`s advice).
My critical review of the recommended video was much more general.

The OP`s problem was to find "any good lecture for learning them in depth?".
There are many contributions (textbooks, internet papers,...) which can serve this purpose (and I did recommend a corresponding lecture).
However - for my opinion - the recommended video is an over-simplification which cannot help at all (in particular, it explains things not "in depth"). It is even worth - it bars the way to a proper understanding of the BJT`s working principle.

At the risk of again being told that the information is wrong I recommend you check out an internet site which links all the library's that offer free, non copyrighted publications, by that I mean books.
For the younger members books are like videos, but with pages instead :p

i did a search using 'transistor fundamentals' as the string, and got these.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=transistor fundamentals

Chose one at random from 1968,

https://ia801702.us.archive.org/16/...sVol1/brite_transistor-fundamentals_vol_1.pdf

Or this from 1954, just 6 years after the first practical transistor was invented

https://ia600501.us.archive.org/12/items/FundamentalsOfTransistors/Krugman_transistors.pdf

At the risk of again being told that the information is wrong I recommend you check out an internet site which links all the library's that offer free, non copyrighted publications, by that I mean books.
For the younger members books are like videos, but with pages instead :p

i did a search using 'transistor fundamentals' as the string, and got these.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=transistor fundamentals

Chose one at random from 1968,

https://ia801702.us.archive.org/16/...sVol1/brite_transistor-fundamentals_vol_1.pdf

Or this from 1954, just 6 years after the first practical transistor was invented

https://ia600501.us.archive.org/12/items/FundamentalsOfTransistors/Krugman_transistors.pdf
I am afraid those books don't get ir right either.

The first book by Pike never mentions diffusion as the cause of charge carrier moving from the emitter to the base.

The second book by Brite hardly gives any explanation at all about how a BJT works, other than saying that a small current causes a larger current to happen (false).

The third book from the link by Krugman says that the base current is caused by the emitter voltage. Not so, it is caused by carrier diffusion. The Vbe knocks down the barrier voltage caused by the diffusion so more diffusion can take place.

This is the most accurate site I have found thus far. http://amasci.com/amateur/transis.html .

Ratch

It is really a shame that there is this universal conspiracy to put out false information about how transistors work.

Bob

Makes you wonder how electronics have come so far so quickly when everything that is taught in schools is wrong. You would think it would have all been corrected by now.

Makes you wonder how electronics have come so far so quickly when everything that is taught in schools is wrong. You would think it would have all been corrected by now.

It is because most folks parrot what others have said before instead of checking and confirming something for themselves. Another good example of that phenomena is thinking that Ohm's law means E = I R. Ohm's law is really a property of a material, specifically the linear resistance. E = I R is the definition of resistance, not Ohm's law. A good number of college physics textbooks will confirm that fact.

Ratch

Of course, not "everything that is taught in schools is wrong".
However, I suppose that we can say that at least 50% of all textbooks (and other knowledge sources) about transistors do not properly explain the basic working principle. (The reason for this phenomenon was explained by Ratch) .

However, it is a surprising and funny situation that, nevertheless, some people with a false understanding are able to design working transistor circuits.
The reason is simple: They are using formulas and design strategies which are available since decades - without realizing that these design principles are based on another (of course correct) understanding of transistor physics.
Three examples:
(1) They are using a relatively "low-resistive" bias voltage divider - without knowing the reason;
(2) They are using an emitter resistor for stabilizing purposes (and call it: degeneration) - without realizing the feedback principle behind it;
(3) They are using correct gain formulas - without realizing the relevance of the gain determining quantity (transconductance).

Last edited: