Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Good Resource For Learning Bjt Transistors And Amplifier

hi dears
unfortunately I was absent entire lectures of bjt transistor and amplifier how can i recompense being absent in classes?
exam that my instructor take us is very very difficult
is there any good lecture for learning them in depth?
or book that I can finish it soon because I haven't too much time
sorry if this question is so simple for you

Last edited:
because i encountered with many problem i couldn't went to class
and here i'm looking for solution

Youtube, the font of all knowledge

For my opinion, it´s better to say: "Font of all kind of information - right and wrong.
In this case, I am really surprised about the (last part of the) youtube video dealing with the BJT.
I only can say: Wrong explantion of the working principle of the BJT.
Don`t use this video!

davenn

In this case, I am really surprised about the (last part of the) youtube video dealing with the BJT.
I only can say: Wrong explantion of the working principle of the BJT.
Don`t use this video!

PLEASE don't start another current / voltage debate
I can only assume this video went against your beliefs ;)

davenn, I have the following question to you:
When in this forum a youtube video is recommended, which contains wrong, misleading and meaningless information - is it allowed to inform a newcomer to electronics that this video shouldn`t be used?
Don`t forget, the questioner has asked for a "good resource"!!
This has nothing to do with somebodies "beliefs", Right is right and wrong is wrong!
I did not start "another current/voltage debate", instead it was my only intention to prevent a newcomer from making some errors in understanding
By the way: What is your opinion to the (last part) of the video? I cannot imagine that you agree to this kind of "explanation" (with a wrong and absurd graphic).

Am I wrong in assuming that this forum is a place for discussion, for providing newcomers with reliable information and for correcting false statements?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
By the way: What is your opinion to the (last part) of the video? I cannot imagine that you agree to this kind of "explanation" (with a wrong and absurd graphic).

Can you be more specific?

Whilst I found stuff that I know you disagree with, I didn't see anything which differs from reality. But maybe I missed it, I don't have time to fact-check the entire video.

Can you be more specific?
Whilst I found stuff that I know you disagree with, I didn't see anything which differs from reality. But maybe I missed it, I don't have time to fact-check the entire video.

Well - because
* it's not really worth - for my opinion - to discuss the whole content of the video, and
* the moderator does not want to start "another debate" about BJT properties

here is just one comment to the video:

A drawing is shown in the video (app. at minute 40) with the mechanical arrangenment of the three regions n/p/n. In this drawing, the base region (p) is the LARGEST of all. You can imagine that, consequently, neither the term "pn-junction", nor "depletion area", nor "diffusion" is mentioned.
Instead, the whole block is characterized as a "resistor" with a resistance value that can vary. The speaker mentions a base-to-collector current ratio between 100 and 1E4 - and it remains his secret how one single charged carrier entering the base region could be able to activate thousands of additional carriers for reducing the resistance of the collector-emitter path correspondingly.

Finally, with my comments to the video recommendation it was my only intention to keep the newcomer from developing a wrong idea about the BJT`s working principle from the beginning.

There are many other (and much better) knowledge sources, for example:
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwic8PaK_ubQAhUnBMAKHWBGDDgQFggaMAA&url=http://aries.ucsd.edu/NAJMABADI/CLASS/ECE65/06-W/NOTES/BJT1.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGuA3X1humVi5whckbmc4JmNdF3Bw

Last edited:
hi dears
unfortunately I was absent entire lectures of bjt transistor and amplifier how can i recompense being absent in classes?
exam that my instructor take us is very very difficult
is there any good lecture for learning them in depth?
or book that I can finish it soon because I haven't too much time
sorry if this question is so simple for you

You are not going to learn in a few hours, knowledge which takes several lectures and many days of study and practice to assimilate. You should tell your instructor that you are hopelessly behind your class, and either drop out or delay your test if you can.

Ratch

PLEASE don't start another current / voltage debate
I can only assume this video went against your beliefs ;)

This video also goes against the laws of semiconductor physics, which I and most others believe in. The professor makes a direct false statement that base current controls collector current, whereas base current is just an indicator of collector current. He never says that the current carriers diffuse into the base region where where they are swept across to the collector terminal by the base-collector voltage. Neither does he mention that the diffusion into the base region is controlled by the emitter-base voltage (Vbe), and the base current is a waste product that escaped from the emitter-collector path. The collector current is limited by what the base voltage and diffusion delivers to the thin base region, so the collector acts like a current source controlled by the base voltage. The makes the BJT a transconductance amplifier. There is a lot of information explanation the video left out.

Ratch

I'm sorry I was only trying to help and honestly though that as the video came from a lecture given by Professor Jerzy Wrobel the professor of physics at the University of Missouri, I assumed it to be accurate.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
There are two (and probably more -- but let me simplify it to two) ways of teaching a topic like this.

In the first, you start at the deepest, most fundamental level and build up to a level where you are talking about the broader concept. This approach has advantages where you know the deepest level of knowledge that is required. However it starts from a point that is not immediately useful, and there is always a deeper understanding.

The other approach is to start with generalities, then step down into details, refining the previous understanding as we go.

In real life we use a mix of these two methods when teaching anything. Young children have are taught details (the alphabet) before the higher level concepts (words). However, they are not taught all the words or all the rules of Grammer before being taught how to read a simple sentence.

Likewise, we can teach how a transistor works by focusing first on semiconductor physics and then moving up, or we can start from some overall generalities and move down.

It is not clear what method was taken by the OP's lecturer.

Whilst the fundamentalist semiconductorians don't like it, it is acceptable to teach generalities that will later be shown to be incorrect. The important thing is that these generalities are rules of thumb that can be and are used for simple design. Whilst they may (in one particular religious battle) get the cause and effect reversed, if viewed as a relationship some of the first steps are easier.

The route you take depends on a lot of things. There is no right approach. If you have a captive audience of students where the gathering of knowledge of of primary importance, sure, start from what you consider to be fundamentals. If however you are speaking to an audience that wants a quick hit and will walk away if they get bored out if they don't see the immediate use of what you're saying, you may like to take a different approach.

The approach in the linked video was more the latter approach, or perhaps it was being given to an audience where those details WERE the fundamentals, just background for a higher level discussion.

There are lots of other examples that the fundamentalists allow themselves to ignore. For instance, every time KVL is mentioned, they fail to state that it is only an approximation which begins to fail as the wavelength of the signal starts to approach the scale of the circuit. It's not even that these people are ignorant of this, they know about it yet choose to ignore it for the purpose of simplicity. However, if someone, perhaps from another tradition, chooses to simplify things in a different way, religious wars erupt.

Was that video perfect? No.

Was it suited to the OP's requirement? Nobody other than the OP is ever likely to know.

Would it teach someone more that is immediately useful about transistors than an equivalent time studying semiconductor physics? Unquestionably, yes.

Would it provides the same background information that is necessary to design semiconductors? Unquestionably, no.

Steve - at first, let me say that I totally agree with your first sentence:
"There are two (and probably more -- but let me simplify it to two) ways of teaching a topic like this."

I have some experience in teaching - and I know that it can be effective (and sometimes: necessary) to start with some - more or less - simplified explanations. To be more precise - nearly all of our explanantions are only simplified descriptions of the reality. But that is not a problem - as long as we as engineers know about these limitations.

Nevertheless, such simplified considerations must not bar the way to a later better (correct) understanding of things.
Many text writers like the motto “Keep it simple ...”. Do we really want to teach stuff that is wrong just because it is simple? (A. Einstein: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler".)

In the following, some specific comments from my side:
The other approach is to start with generalities, then step down into details, refining the previous understanding as we go.
I think that such a "refining" of "previous understandings" requires that the generalities are simplified descriptions that can be refined later on. I think, in the present example that is not the case
....it is acceptable to teach generalities that will later be shown to be incorrect.
....if viewed as a relationship some of the first steps are easier.
Doesn`t this contradict the previous mentioning of "refinement"?
Can incorrect explanations refined step by step?
Do we really want to teach stuff that is wrong just because it is "easier"?

There are lots of other examples that the fundamentalists allow themselves to ignore. For instance, every time KVL is mentioned, they fail to state that it is only an approximation which begins to fail as the wavelength of the signal starts to approach the scale of the circuit.
For my opinion, this is not a good example. The rules according to KVL are not wrong but they have a limited range of validity. That`s a big difference. More than that, similar considerations apply to all equations and effects in the world of electronics. We always make simplifications: No part or system has "linear" properties and no signal is a pure sinus. But we are using these terms - knowing about their limited meaning.
(not to mention the limited world of Isaac Newton).

Would it teach someone more that is immediately useful about transistors than an equivalent time studying semiconductor physics? Unquestionably, yes.
I don`t think so. The video creates a totally false impression on the function principle of the BJT - and this is certainly not a good starting point for a succeeding "refinement".
(Example: Pretty often we can read "Why is Ic nearly independent on Vce? Why does Ohms law not apply?"
I think, those questions result from thinking that the BJT would be nothing else than a variable resistance, as mentioned in the video).

(Side note to our moderator davenn: Note that I did not start another current / voltage debate);)

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Doesn`t this contradict the previous mentioning of "refinement"?
Can incorrect explanations refined step by step?
Do we really want to teach stuff that is wrong just because it is "easier"?

Do we teach F = MA? We know it's wrong.

As you said, everything is a simplification. Base current controlling collector current is a gross simplification because it both puts the cart before the horse and because it assumes certain facts about the load. However even within those constraints it is useful and often sufficient.

Spending an equivalent 5 minutes describing the atomic structure of silicon and the effect of dopants tells the beginner nothing that can be usefully applied to a practical circuit.

As you said, everything is a simplification. Base current controlling collector current is a gross simplification because it both puts the cart before the horse and because it assumes certain facts about the load. However even within those constraints it is useful and often sufficient.
Certainly, I will follow davenn`s recommendation not to start another "current/voltage debate" - however, even your last sentence contains a big misunderstanding. If you like, I can explain without any theoretical discourse.

Spending an equivalent 5 minutes describing the atomic structure of silicon and the effect of dopants tells the beginner nothing that can be usefully applied to a practical circuit.
Who has recommended such an approach? D you think, that would be the only one?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I guess you could also start with Vbe controlling Ic* but you then have to explain that you can very rarely directly control Vbe. I would prefer to go the other way.

And you didn't address the terrible problems of teaching that false and misleading Newtonian physics which is apparently useful but that doesn't count because it's wrong.

* Yeah I know, conductance.

Last edited:
I think, that it is always wise to explain the working principle of a simple pn diode first.
And - as far as I can see - nearly each textbook and each electronics course follows this approach.
Based on this knowledge, it is a very simple task to explain the basic working principle of the BJT.
(Perhaps not too important: I must admit not to fully understand the last senetence. Ironic?)

I guess you could also start with Vbe controlling Ic* but you then have to explain that you can very rarely directly control Vbe. I would prefer to go the other way.

And you didn't address the terrible problems of teaching that false and misleading Newtonian physics which is apparently useful but that doesn't count because it's wrong.

* Yeah I know, conductance.

I don't think it would scramble a beginner's brains to state at the beginning that F=ma is very good approximation at less than hyper speeds. That would be simple and correct. Teaching a beginner that Ib is an indicator, not a control of Ic, is also correct and simple. Later the student can dig deeper and discover that Vbe actually controls Ic. I aver that simplicity does not have to foster falsity

Ratch