Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrochemistry ideas

I have been playing with electrochemistry for a while now, mainly with aluminium, hydrogen and iron electrochemistries. I have not had much success with the aluminium chemistry, holding little more than half a volt, albeit for several weeks, extending into months now. I have had much more success with iron, my latest prototype (going in a self discharge test) has been going for weeks now, holding at a little under 1.2v open circuit voltage. I have no nickel, so nickel iron testing is out for now, and I posses no non metals nor ionic compounds that would make an active cathode, so it just uses inert graphite. I have not done any loading test for the iron one yet though, I suspect that it has very poor current capability and there will be loaded voltage drop as well.

I want to start on a dual carbon cell, as it looks like there are plenty of ionic compounds to try, I will likely experiment with sodium acetate first. Might or might not work.

Are there any ideas as to other electrochemistries that I could try? I want to try new methods, making new designs that haven't been thought of or generally tested yet, but also avoiding the production of halogens at the same time as well!

Because nobody replied to your requirement, I do reply to it. As an easy idea I can give you a very basic experiment: The metal platung. In this case, the copper plating which is used to cover any piece of metal with copper. I have never made this but it has draw me to make it. . You need a 9V battery, water, copper sulphate, plastic or glass container, cocrodile wires and th metal piece to be covered and a copper piece. God bless you.

Because nobody replied to your requirement, I do reply to it. As an easy idea I can give you a very basic experiment: The metal platung. In this case, the copper plating which is used to cover any piece of metal with copper. I have never made this but it has draw me to make it. . You need a 9V battery, water, copper sulphate, plastic or glass container, cocrodile wires and th metal piece to be covered and a copper piece. God bless you.

Good idea, thanks for the reply. Will hopefully try it if I can get hold of the copper sulfate and let you know how it goes.