Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric motor on planer quits running after 1 minute

Thank you one and all. What a great forum. From all that you told me, it sounds very much like the " centrifugal start switch sticking." I am going to take the motor to a shop just as soon as they are allowed to open for I do not want to damage the motor trying to take it apart.

Good move.
If you promise to sit in the corner and not bug the hell out of the repairer, they may even let you sit and watch.
Then again, these days with workshop health and safety, it's probably a no no to even let you in the workshop door.
Gets more like an operating room every day.:eek:

I actually could not resist getting a puller and taking the pulley off so I could open things up. The centrifugal start switch seemed to be moving quite freely and their was not and dirt or grease. I then took a picture of the windings because it seemed to me the color in one small section had turned to a silver color. See at 1 o'clock. does this mean they it overheated at one point? Motor8.JPG Motor8.JPG Motor8.JPG

Sir mtcowley . . . . .
WOE is you . . .SKIP a heartbeat . . . . .now THAT is what you did not want to find . . . . . and the charring / discoloration of the lacing twine pinpoints the highest heated area of compromised windings.Your nose should know also.
2 Horse-powders motors don't comes in cheepleys !

I was disclosing with my wife whether to buy a new motor for $608 or a new planer for a whole lot more and she suggested I go to the public workshop at the University of Louisville where you can use any and all their equipment for free(when they open) . I like that idea. What is scrap metal selling for at the moment?

Discolouration is the Run winding which has been hot as, probably a shorted turn.

Did notice , if one looks closely, where the top inner start winding enters the slot at around 9 0"clock in your photo, appears like a blow and fragments of copper.

Some household insurance policies cover motor burn out, might be worth a try.

Get the motor rewound and save the planet.

I thought the same thing....:):)
Curious if it is included in house insurance over where you are ( motor burnout).
Usually is here in Aus for a couple of dollars extra.
Only drawback here is they refuse to cover if the motor is over 7 years old.