Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Drone (Help/Ideas)

So I've decided to build a drone as a summer project (even though it's almost over).

At first, I was going to run a quadcopter design using a main body with four arms with a motor and propeller on each. I bought motors that came with a motor case. I didn't know at first that the motor ran a gear that was meant to go along with the casing, changing the gear ratio (not really important in this discussion). This forced me to redesign what I had.

Now I plan on using a single body (which I call the 'Motor Box') and a single(?) shaft that runs from the Motor Box to power both a CW (Clockwise) propeller and a CCW (Counter-Clockwise) propeller. I'm unsure how I would run both. I know many RC Helicopters use both a CW and CCW propeller on a single shaft (or it at least looks like one shaft), and I'm unsure how it works. To continue, I would use a smaller propeller on the back of the Motor Box for forwards/backwards motion.

So, how would I run a CW and a CCW propeller on one(?) shaft? Ideas or anything that helps would be appreciated.

So I've decided to build a drone as a summer project (even though it's almost over).

At first, I was going to run a quadcopter design using a main body with four arms with a motor and propeller on each. I bought motors that came with a motor case. I didn't know at first that the motor ran a gear that was meant to go along with the casing, changing the gear ratio (not really important in this discussion). This forced me to redesign what I had.

Now I plan on using a single body (which I call the 'Motor Box') and a single(?) shaft that runs from the Motor Box to power both a CW (Clockwise) propeller and a CCW (Counter-Clockwise) propeller. I'm unsure how I would run both. I know many RC Helicopters use both a CW and CCW propeller on a single shaft (or it at least looks like one shaft), and I'm unsure how it works. To continue, I would use a smaller propeller on the back of the Motor Box for forwards/backwards motion.

So, how would I run a CW and a CCW propeller on one(?) shaft? Ideas or anything that helps would be appreciated.
A list of parts you have used would be more helpful than the description... 'Drone' parts I had looked at included a multitude of brushless motors which had no gearing. The 'CW' or 'CCW' direction was achieved simply by swapping two of the 3 wires required to drive it. As far as driving both directions with a single motor is concerned on a single 'shaft' like a helicopter... you should look at hobby holicopter parts to find a part... or you can simply use two brushless motors. This would also allow you to vary the speed of one motor in contrast with the other to control the 'Yaw' of the drone without requiring a tail rotor.

The "single" shaft is obviously two, one inside the other.
If you find that a difficult concept to imagine then the rest of a quad copter design will be rather an uphill battle I would imagine.

A list of parts you have used would be more helpful than the description... 'Drone' parts I had looked at included a multitude of brushless motors which had no gearing. The 'CW' or 'CCW' direction was achieved simply by swapping two of the 3 wires required to drive it. As far as driving both directions with a single motor is concerned on a single 'shaft' like a helicopter... you should look at hobby holicopter parts to find a part... or you can simply use two brushless motors. This would also allow you to vary the speed of one motor in contrast with the other to control the 'Yaw' of the drone without requiring a tail rotor.

I used a Syma X5 X5c Quadcopter Full Part Set 4*motors Propellers Landing Skid Protectors Motor Base (Syma X5 Protector) that I bought from amazon, Link to the item here.

I used a Syma X5 X5c Quadcopter Full Part Set 4*motors Propellers Landing Skid Protectors Motor Base (Syma X5 Protector) that I bought from amazon, Link to the item here.
Oh... it's one of those xD
Very entry level drone. If you are building something from scratch, I would encourage you to find some multi-rotor forums or hobby air-craft forums to talk to other people from.
Your budget is important too...
The type of drone you have is great for learning with, but if you plan to build you own you should be looking at other parts... Try to find more 'generic' parts that you can use, mix and match.

Here is a pair of motors for example : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__62751__Turnigy_250_size_1806_2280kv_Set_Of_4_CW_CCW_.html
Many of the 'generic' type parts that you find on hobby stores like this follow standards... You can buy motors from one site, and a frame and propellers from another. Track down all the parts you need then share and get second opinions. Be mindful that buying parts and building yourself is much like building your own PC. You can break your bank account or get an amazing deal depending on how you shop for parts, but it will be more difficult to build than a 'kit'.

As mentioned above.. the dual prop helicopter layout is two vertical shafts... outer shaft is hollow which allows an inner shaft to rotate inside it. You either need gearing to turn both shafts at once, or two motors.

Oh... it's one of those xD
Very entry level drone. If you are building something from scratch, I would encourage you to find some multi-rotor forums or hobby air-craft forums to talk to other people from.
Your budget is important too...
The type of drone you have is great for learning with, but if you plan to build you own you should be looking at other parts... Try to find more 'generic' parts that you can use, mix and match.

Here is a pair of motors for example : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__62751__Turnigy_250_size_1806_2280kv_Set_Of_4_CW_CCW_.html
Many of the 'generic' type parts that you find on hobby stores like this follow standards... You can buy motors from one site, and a frame and propellers from another. Track down all the parts you need then share and get second opinions. Be mindful that buying parts and building yourself is much like building your own PC. You can break your bank account or get an amazing deal depending on how you shop for parts, but it will be more difficult to build than a 'kit'.

As mentioned above.. the dual prop helicopter layout is two vertical shafts... outer shaft is hollow which allows an inner shaft to rotate inside it. You either need gearing to turn both shafts at once, or two motors.

Thanks for the advice. As for my budget... it's small, so I can't just go buying every part that I want. I really have to save as much as possible, so I'll try to use what I have for now, and if that fails, I'll look for a different motor that's both relatively cheap and efficient (like you can both, right?).

Also, thanks for explaining the hollow shaft with two inside in detail. I had a feeling it was that, but I wasn't completely sure and needed a second opinion.

I'll take what you say into consideration and make sure I get second opinions on all parts I want to get in the future. so that I don't buy crappy parts or pay too much for a decent part.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. As for my budget... it's small, so I can't just go buying every part that I want. I really have to save as much as possible, so I'll try to use what I have for now, and if that fails, I'll look for a different motor that's both relatively cheap and efficient (like you can both, right?).

Also, thanks for explaining the hollow shaft with two inside in detail. I had a feeling it was that, but I wasn't completely sure and needed a second opinion.

I'll take what you say into consideration and make sure I get second opinions on all parts I want to get in the future. so that I don't buy crappy parts or pay too much for a decent part.

Thanks again.
No problem.
Depending on the layout of your craft, you may need to put some extra effort in... Keep in mind the torque created from the motors and props must be balanced. You can do this with a tail-rotor, equal CW and CCW props, or some other creative means.
Find a flight controller or DIY you're own... In all honesty, the parts to build from scratch will give you a much more capable drone when you are done, but that's where you decide how to split your budget.

As far as actually flying the thing is concerned... this is where you make a choice... Make a self-balanced drone that basically hovers by itself, or do an 'accro' style drone which *REQUIRES* you to make adjustments as you fly with your controller. Obviously one is easier to fly than the other... but the flight controller for the easy to fly one is a little more expensive / tricky to build.

Lucky you, Drones are the hot thing right now so there is a TON of resources everywhere. Blogs, Forums, IRC channels, you name it.