Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Disassembling an old oscilloscope

I found an old Heathkit oscilloscope that I am turning into a computer case, but all the guts are still in there. It was recently turned on so I know it works at least some what, but I am not sure if it is actually functioning as I, and the person I got the scope from, knows nothing about them.

Anyway, I am about to start disassembly on it, i.e. taking all the guts out, and am wanting to see if there are any major safety concerns, especially those associated with capacitors holding a charge or something that is going to blow my hand off when I am gutting it.

This thing is old, it's full of vacuum tubes everywhere and what appear to be some rather large capacitors.

Is anyone aware of anything I should be mindful of, or do to protect myself? I want to make sure it is safe to be messing with this thing before I dig in.

blow my hand off when I am gutting it

I wouldn't worry about my hand getting blown off, I would be more concerned with a direct shock across my heart. Basic electrical safety should always be on the mind.

Other then that, does this thing have a CRT? my guess is yes since you say it's old. That could potentially deal the most hurtful shock you have ever received. Especially if you have turned it on recently, then you can almost guarantee it will be holding a charge.

I wouldn't worry about my hand getting blown off, I would be more concerned with a direct shock across my heart. Basic electrical safety should always be on the mind.

Other then that, does this thing have a CRT? my guess is yes since you say it's old. That could potentially deal the most hurtful shock you have ever received. Especially if you have turned it on recently, then you can almost guarantee it will be holding a charge.

I was exaggerating on getting my hand blown off, just wanted to make a point.

Yes, it does have a CRT in it. What part of the CRT would be the part that would give me a good shock, and how would I go about negating that charge? I just finished pulling the majority of the vacuum tubes but didn't mess with anything around the power supply, as that was my big area of concern.

I really do not know much about electronics, or electrical, all I know is what little I have taught myself in years of computer modding and tinkering. But I feel I am being safe by wearing leather gloves, making sure my hands don't cross any points and wearing rubber soled shoes. I'm also using insulated tools only.

What should I watch out for on that CRT? I noticed there are some rather large leads going to two points of the circuit board it is "connected" to, would it be something in that area?