Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Diodes

I have a component question. I am repairing a generator. I have 2 diodes bad. rectifier diodes. Stud type. I have 2 of the same generators, different years. They look identical. Now I pull out the diodes. Try to look up the numbers and don't find much. From what I did find, it appears to be a 20a 600v cathode case diode. Will it be alright if I get a stud diode with the correct amps, voltage, and negative case. Here are the numbers I have off the diode MSC 9118 R2160.
Thanks for the help.

Diodes of this style are made in both polarities often with the same number but one polarity has a R added. So be careful you get it right.

600V 20A diodes should be readily available, Depending on the reason for failier, you could use stronger diodes.

According to the spec sheet, as Martaine and Duke pointed out (R) is Anode case and (S) is cathode case.
As you quoted R2160, then that is Anode case.

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    132.7 KB · Views: 2
Yes I just noticed that. I stand corrected. The R is for reversed and S for standard. I will make sure I check it with my tester and it matches the other ones. Thanks again.

If you are changing the type then watch the thread, they may be unf or metric. Get with nuts and washers that fit.