Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Digital Converter Boxes... 2016

Have a DSConverter for television that is approaching 10 years. Would one find new and improved features in a store today? Guidance sought.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Can you still get these? They were typically marketed to people in areas where analog TV was being discontinued to people who did not want to buy a new TV.

My first suggestion is that maybe it's time to buy a new TV. They show colour these days, and you don't have to wait for the tubes to warm up! :D

Otherwise, look for a location that is converting to digital and see what's on the market. You may be able to get stuff direct from China. Of course, these options mean you'll need to consider the output format (NTSC, PAL, SECAM) and the digital standard in use.

Sir philpense. . . . . . .

Since you are being Amerikanski . . . .and thereby receiving NTSC.
I think that the only improvement that you would find, would be for upgrading to one of the Radio Shack units.
After seeing most all of the other units . . . if not all . . . . the ONE outstanding feature from those RS units is the built in TV guide.
Plus, its signal strength indicator methodology is great also.

01500628_00_grande.jpeg

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a tv that the tuner circuit died in. so I got a set top box from dick smith for $30au.
now dick smith has shut down its highly unlikely to get another but you can find features ranging from on screen tv guide, USB recording, major advances in the home theatre sound etc..
the issue is what do you want?
the more expensive ones let you incorporate Netflix, presto, stan, Foxtel etc (internet movies and shows on demand) catch up tv if you have it (watch programs that have aired on free to watch) as well as act as a media hub so you can run around the house on a tablet streaming the programs while watching another on the tv and recording a 3rd or 4th even.

as I said there are a myriad of devices out there... if all you want is to convert digital stream to analog then go cheap, they last well mine has.
if you want to move up and try something new shop the heck out of the item before buying it, DON'T listen to sales people, get online and ask in forums what each item means, a sales person is there for 1 reason, TO MAKE A SALE, we here on the forums are here because we want to educate and learn. no profit for us except seeing the hobbies we love expand and grow