Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Designing a 12V regulated PSU

i want design schematics digram for 12v dc regulated supply i know i need transfomer, diode, capactior and other component if input 230vac output 12vdc load 20ohms and o/p current 2amp how can i calcuate working voltage, current and rating of component

Hi vead.
Welcome to the forum.
I would try to find an existing project on line, there are plenty of 12 volts DC 2 amps power supply projects out there, if your not familiar with pcb or schematic diagrams you would be best to learn from simple regulator circuits and using a plug in power supply you can purchase to build these prototype circuits on boards designed for this known as bread boards.

The components values are almost always stated in the projects you find on searching the web, not so much single one off diagrams but electronic hobby sites, you can find one on the forum Hobby Projects
This one i believe contains some power supply projects it a forum link. :)
http://www.hobbyprojects.com/

davenn

hi vead
welcome ot the forums :)

OK to find the correct transformer ratings you need to do a little maths :)
ya dont get anything for nothing ;)

the basic formula is ....

The DC output is approximately: 1.41 x VAC - (2 x 0.7)
That is after the bridge rectifier with the smoothing capacitor. But before any regulator chip if needed

Do you need good voltage regulation ? or is your smoothed 12V DC enough ?
if you need it well regulated then you will have to have a higher voltage out of the rectifier, cuz most regulators need at least 2V above the output regulated level.

So deciding what your DC voltage need to be work that formula backwards and determine what the secondary voltage of the transformer needs to be.

OK here's a basic regulated PSU capable of 12V and 2A make sure your transformer secondary is rated for at least 2.5 - 3 amps

attachment.php

give a bit more info as to requirements :)

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• PSU1.gif
    PSU1.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,152
The above project is a good one, but please be careful if your planing on building your power supply for transformer connection to the mains voltage supply, remember to earth or ground metal chassis, and always fuse primary mains sources. :)