Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA

Hopefully your firmware update was successful. You don't want to power down during that.
Aside from that, If it still doesn't want to turn off, you could always use the low tech method of yanking the plug out of the wall.
:D

Hopefully your firmware update was successful. You don't want to power down during that.
Aside from that, If it still doesn't want to turn off, you could always use the low tech method of yanking the plug out of the wall.
:D
HA-Ha! Yes - of course! So this morning I shall yank the plug from the wall and try starting it again to get [Q1][Q2][Q3] The AVR has been telling me to "Please wait . . . " all night so lo-tech method must be deployed. It was going through all sorts of displays - like "Favourites" etc. Michael Studio1 UK 06:17BST 03-07-2018

Well, it didn't like such lo-tech methods at all. When the wall-plug was re-inserted the AVR immediately came on - green around the on-Button - so I pushed the 'On button' and it turned off. Then went through the motions of getting into Diagnostic mode (3 buttons at the same time) - but it wouldn't have that and went into [Remote ? . . . ] [Q1][Q2][Q3]. I turned it off again and did the 3-button On to Diagnostic mode. The FL screen reported: [Connecting . . . ] then [Assigning . . . ] [Please wait . . . ] [Q1][Q2][Q3] whilst on the Lab Monitor a colourful [Favorites] came on. I turned the AVR off at this point as it's getting no-where fast. Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, John, for pointing out the difference between access method to Page19 'Diagnostic mode' [10] and 'Remote ID Setup mode [11] - this as shown on Page25 [3.2.] As shown on Page19 they
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[PCM] . . . . . . . [AUTO] [RSTR] . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
both look the same. Appreciated!! So I tried again . . . . [DIG.] [ Please wait . . . ] Well, that's what the FL Screen shows. Maybe I should remove the Ethernet cable from the Server. We put it there to download the latest 'firmware' - which, we believed, was successful. If, however, I decide to do another Factory Reset (apart from destroying any settings that we have made) will it reset the 'firmware'? So many ways to go! So I shall water the garden! Michael Studio1 09:20BST 03-07-2018

Five hours and a garden watered: AVR still shows [ Please wait.... ] on the FL screen. I have turned it off and disconnected the Ethernet cable. I have turned the AVR back on in 'Diagnostics' and, having acknowledged the removal of the Ethernet showed: [ Please wait . . . . . ] a few minutes later the screen now shows: AO1 [ANALOG] DVD [Q1][Q2][Q3] which is precisely the requirement on Page28 4.5, Confirmation item 1. With the remote controller I shall now go through 'Details of how to operate remote controller' - and see what happens! Michael Studio1 UK 14:30BST 03-07-2018

Later: Result: I have changed the Input to [DVD] inserted the Sig.Gen. Signal Tones into the corresponding phono sockets on the rear and followed the requirements on Page28 (4.5) Item1. using the remote controller as directed. There has been no change on the FL screen at all. Also the Signal Tones are not present at FL or FR, but are present at U8 pin100 as a combination of the two frequencies - 700cps and 500cps. So it would appear that IC801 is directing the Signals to the Digital path - not the Analog By-pass Path as shown on Page35, [fig.7] Michael Studio1 14:47BST

.. the Signal Tones are not present at FL or FR, but are present at U8 pin100
Do you mean the actual FL or FR speakers, or the output pins 21(FL) 23 (FR) of IC801?

I would expect you should have the analog DVD signals input at pins 64/65 (DVD) of IC801 then output on pins 21/23.

I'm not sure why they're not getting through. Perhaps wrong zone?

U8 pin 100 comes from IC22 on HDMI B'D used for speaker delay (PLD) or path length distance. Probably not where you should be looking at this point.

Have you tried the speaker test tone in the speaker set-up?

Do you mean the actual FL or FR speakers, or the output pins 21(FL) 23 (FR) of IC801?

I would expect you should have the analog DVD signals input at pins 64/65 (DVD) of IC801 then output on pins 21/23.

I'm not sure why they're not getting through. Perhaps wrong zone?

U8 pin 100 comes from IC22 on HDMI B'D used for speaker delay (PLD) or path length distance. Probably not where you should be looking at this point.

Have you tried the speaker test tone in the speaker set-up?

Thank you for your patience, John! I mean the actual Speaker Terminals FL & FR - I haven't been probing IC801.
I have not tried the speaker test tone in the speaker set-up as I do not have speakers in the Lab. Just the one speaker on the end of my probe. I probed CN401 which is the 7Ch. connector and pin1 comes straight from IC801 pin21. There's no Signal there.
That doesn't sound right. I trust you had Q1,Q2,Q3 displayed as before? It displayed DVD on the screen?
Yes, [Q1][Q2][Q3] were there - but the screen showed no reaction to anything I did with the remote. (apart from changing the Input to DVD from BD) I don't know whether the FLscreen is supposed to show changes during setup? Michael Studio1 UK 06:15BST 04-07-2108

Well that's somewhat discouraging but all is not lost.

I would try and get some speakers hooked up as soon as you can. I'm of the opinion that your repair has probably corrected the initial problem but there's some software setting that may be holding up things.

Perhaps forget the diagnostic mode for now as that didn't pan out so far.

Once speakers are hooked up I'd just play around with it and see if you get any sound through it. Try all the inputs, make sure a settings like tape monitor isn't on, check that zone 2 is turned back on..
Does the radio portion work? Anything through headphones?
Have you made sure the set-up procedure was done? Are the speaker volume levels at an acceptable level?

Many stones left to turn.

Time for bed. Tomorrow we will celebrate the day we told the King to shove it.

Well that's somewhat discouraging but all is not lost.

I would try and get some speakers hooked up as soon as you can. I'm of the opinion that your repair has probably corrected the initial problem but there's some software setting that may be holding up things.

Perhaps forget the diagnostic mode for now as that didn't pan out so far.

Once speakers are hooked up I'd just play around with it and see if you get any sound through it. Try all the inputs, make sure a settings like tape monitor isn't on, check that zone 2 is turned back on..
Does the radio portion work? Anything through headphones?
Have you made sure the set-up procedure was done? Are the speaker volume levels at an acceptable level?

Many stones left to turn.

Time for bed. Tomorrow we will celebrate the day we told the King to shove it.

Thanks, John. Wake up to a New Relief - you don't have Brexit! This will be our Independence Day (when it happens) No Boston Tea Party here - more like a Coffee at home! Today I shall start turning stones. I shall see if I can unearth some speakers - probably pc. ones. To get the radio to work I shall need an Antenna. Bit of wire or something - Oh - No! It's a balanced thingy which I know I have somewhere. Nothing through the headphones yet. Because I didn't have speakers I left their setup undone. So that will need to be dealt with. &c. Michael Studio1 UK 10:47BST 04-07-2018