Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC power supply

If circuit have power on. Vin ( +20V) always higher than Vout (+12V). Vin was 8V higher o than Vout. That is diode will be reverse biased and no current will flow on diode.

Once power off. Vin voltage will become lower. Vout without load will have +12V. Vout therefore was higher with respect to Vin . Diode will be forward bias and Vou current will not dangerously flow to IC regulator . But flow on diode to Cin.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
If I were doing this I would have a single regulator (a variable one) and switch resistors to change the output voltage.

This simplifies a whole lot of stuff, not the least being the need to switch relatively heavy output currents.

If I were doing this I would have a single regulator (a variable one) and switch resistors to change the output voltage.

This simplifies a whole lot of stuff, not the least being the need to switch relatively heavy output currents.

Switch resistor? You mean potentiometer?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Switch resistor? You mean potentiometer?

Well, a potentiometer is a resistor, but if I wanted 4 fixed voltages I would switch 4 resistors to give 4 voltages. Maybe there might be trimmers in there to trim off the voltage, but essentially I'd be switching fixed resistances.

Well, a potentiometer is a resistor, but if I wanted 4 fixed voltages I would switch 4 resistors to give 4 voltages. Maybe there might be trimmers in there to trim off the voltage, but essentially I'd be switching fixed resistances.
You mean I have to calculate the value of resistancce needed to give me a fixed voltage ?

If you still want to do three supplies here is how you would emulated a 2P4T switch with 3 DPDT

Switches from top to bottom, left to right...

Switch one when in the up position would be circuit one
Switch one in the bottom position and switch two in the up would be circuit two
Switch one in the bottom position and switch two in the bottom position while switch three is in the up position for circuit three
Switch one in the bottom position and switch two in the bottom position while switch three is in the down position for circuit four

Again fool proof switching only one circuit is on at any given time... Although I would probably go with a variable as has been suggested or even just use a 1P4T on just the outputs as suggested, not a huge waste to have them all on at once...

Attachments

• 3x_dpdt.jpg
    3x_dpdt.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 102
Yea. I will do one with variable output voltage using LM 317.Can you please suggest to me is it a good idea to have thee LM 317 adjustable voltage and another 4 sets of fixed voltage output ( 5V, 6V, 9V and 12V ) ?

The idea of using a LM317 is that you can just vary the resistor and change values, a simple 1 pole rotary switch, all with only one regulator no need for others...

But, I may not get exactly like 5v that I need right ? I need to always measure it. How bout this ?: Add one meter panel for display purpose ? Posible ?

Yea. But it is a better way right to have a display meter there ? More convenience ?

If you want, just get a cheap digital multimeter, if you try I'd bet you could get the entire LM317 circuit inside the multimeter housing and have a multimeter looking power supply ;)

the LM317 seems like the best idea. Switching fixed resistors by a Single Pole - multiple throw rotary switch does the trick. If you are lazy calculating the values, just use a potentiometer to adjust a voltage (while reading a DVM), remove and measure the resistance then use a 1% fixed resistor as close to the measured value as possible. Repeat as many times as the number of desired voltages.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
You could do it with a series of toggle switches too. Depending how you do it, the output voltage would be the highest you select, or something like the sum of what you select (with a 317 the latter would get a little confusing though)