Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC Power Supply Noise?

Hello Again All,
so I have a system that uses 24v, it's an intercom system to be used in a tank. All wired together. Most of the cabling is military grade. I'm wondering about power in though.

So we have a 12v Alternator on the engine. I have it running through 12 to 24v step up converter. Very simple one...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JUHEJJ2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

specifically.

Should I have a ferrite bead between the converter and the comms system? Should I use twisted pair for the power wiring? It will be about a 10 foot run. Should I get shielded? the whole system draws less than 5 amps and probably closer to 1 amp.

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Should I have a ferrite bead between the converter and the comms system?
Always a good idea.

Should I use twisted pair for the power wiring?
A waste of resources. Twisted pair is useful for low power signal wires to minimize magnetic induction (noise) nto the signal wires. It is not useful for power supplies, though it won't hurt if you use it.
The same goes for shielding.

You may want/need to reduce noise at the consumer end (not at the converter end) of the power supply by inserting a power line filter.

Auto electronics has vastly improved over the years. The power line filter Harald talks about used to be readily available from a lot of places because so many older vehicles needed it to help
filter out alternator noise. I don't see very many of them these days, but I'm a big believer is isolating alternator noise from comm systems.
Depending on your application you may not see a need for one (your vehicle may be equipped to deal with the issue), but it's a good thing to have as far as I'm concerned.

Mainly used for diff signal wires, but twisting power supply wires reduces loop inductance. Always a good idea for EMC.
Adam

Sorry to intrude, I'm a electronics novice and a new to the forum. Is the part that Shortround is referring to a condenser in automotive terms? Usually, you'd see them on a set of points, attached to the heater motor, on the back of an alternator/generator and some times attached to the ignition coil.

So, this will mess with a few peoples heads. I'm a re-enactor. We have a tank. It's a mess. The comms systems is a VIC-1 from the early 80's. The engine is a new Detroit Diesel. So...yeah. there's that. We have to rewire a lot of the vehicle cause the last owners really effed it up bad. In fact I think the only circuit still (In the cabin) working is the ignition relay. We are on a shoestring budget but I figure I can make a lot of this work. the VIC-1 is 24v but the rest of the system is 12v. We are also putting in a camera system (so we don't accidentally run people over). That is what I'm dealing with. Sadly, I'm the smartest one so we're hosed as a group. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I like your chutzpah! A German Tiger, huh? What a great example of German engineering. Good thing we won that war. I liked they way Clint Eastwood faced up to the German Tiger commander in the comedy movie Kelly's Heroes. I think they used Soviet Army T-34 tanks to substitute for the Tiger tanks in that movie.

Where are you going to get the leather uniforms and helmets for your re-enactments? Are there other tanks to play with? Where can I go to watch?

Hmmm. I wonder what would a Tiger do in a Civil War re-enactment? Never mind the anachronism, this is gonna be fun!:D

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I know nothing about tanks, but I appreciate the efforts of you and hundreds (thousands?) of others who help preserve the history of WWII. I was a month short of one year old on VE day, but my father had been a POW in Germany in Stalag Luft 3, having been shot down on May 24, 1944 during a B-17 bombing raid over Berlin and was captured a few days later. Thanks to George S. Patton, his 3rd Army and the Sherman tanks for liberating Dad. Of course George had a lot of help. May the current generation never forget the sacrifices made by the "greatest generation," both on the battlefield and here at home.

Hop

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
You should attend, Your father as well if he is still with us. There will be other WW2 vets there.
Would love to, and may do so another year, but other things prevent it this year. My father passed at age 82. He lived a full and interesting life: Retired after an Air Force career to become a businessman (with his brother-in-law) here in Dayton, and finally another career as an entrepreneur real-estate salesman to rich yuppies (Rocks and trees with deeds!) in the mountains of his beloved Colorado in the foothills outside of Denver. Except for the POW experience, Dad had a ball and lived his life to the fullest. Gone but never forgotten.

no schematic yet. At work. but I don't think it draws more than 2 amps. I only nave a multimeter from radioshack and only rarely use it.