Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Current Threshhold Detection circuit using ACPL-K370

All,

I purchased some light switches that are capacitive touch and can be controlled with 433 Mhz radio codes (all sorted & working). However the communication is only one way (to the switch), which toggles on/off with the same code, leaving me no way to determine whether the light is on or off from a remote position (i.e. from another room or controlling from a server). The switch itself draws power continuously meaning there is 240v downstream of the switch at all times. When the switch is off the current is 50 mA and climbs from there when the light is turned on depending on the power requirements. In my test rig a single bulb takes it to 180 mA. However in real life it would be more.
The micro-controller I wish to use to monitor this (esp 8266) runs at 3.3 v and has plenty of free digital pins but only 1 analog pin so would not be able to monitor multiple lights independently using a non-invasive, coil type, sensor. and as there is always power I cannot use a voltage sensor.

I located this K370 Threshold Sensing Optocoupler that I think can be made to fit the bill, wired in parallel with the light downstream of the switch. If I set it up correctly I can ensure that in the "off" condition there is insufficient power to light the led of the sensor but in the "on" position there would be. this would then provide me with a clean, using a capacitor, digital signal to determine the light status for my micro-controller. The low voltage side does not really concern me much as it is similar to any optocoupler.

Unfortunately, for me, the spec sheet, though comprehensive, is of language that is "above my level of comfort". I am having problems determining the correct starting value for the resistor Rx (see Isolation....... .pdf). As I am unfamiliar to working with AC power and the concept of load effecting voltage at this level any suggestions or guidance on how to proceed, especially starting values for Capacitors (to smooth) & Resistors, would be gratefully accepted.

Craig Rosier.

Attachments

• AV02-3699EN-AN_1004-HCPL-3700-05Jul20121.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Isolation-Using-Voltage-Current-Analog-Optocouplers-AV00-0310EN-v3-1.pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 261

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
Welcome to EP Craig.

Please post a block diagram of your remote lighting system and the information echo you're trying to achieve. I think it'll help getting the ball rolling.

BTW, you said that with the all lights off quiescent current = 50mA. Is that a measure of the 240VAC input current? If it is that would equal 12Watts doing nothing. Seems rather wasteful.

Chris

Rear Chris,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you are correct that the switch, when off draws 12W. So far I have tried 2 different manufacturers and both are ballpark at this value. However I can live with this as I will have a relay bank adjacent to the fuse box to isolate all but essentials controlled by my home automation server.

The diagram closest to what I am trying to achieve above (it is for the HPCL-3700 the predecessor to the K370). However, I lack the experience to understand how to tune the threshhold that will activate the optocoupler. I believe the information is contained within the data sheet but some of the language, due to my lack of experience, defeats me. The internals are shown below.
Optocoupler.jpg Internals.jpg

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
Craig, I must be loosing it because I skimmed through the datasheet but I didn't see a typical hookup for current monitoring, even though the datasheet states it can. I would expect to see a very low value resistor in series with the load to sense the E= IR drop across it.

I'm not sure if this is applicable to your application but google the ACS712 datasheet. It doesn't use a dropping resistor either but the AC side current monitoring function (hall effect) is easy to follow. Though I'm not sure if it's sensitive enough for your needs.

Chris

Chris,

Many thanks. I'm first going to experiment to see if I can hit an acceptable threshold through trial & error. Failing that I will move to the ACS712 which I know will work but with only one analog channel I may have to use a 74HC4051 CMOS analog multiplexer to generate additional channels.

Again thanks for the help.

Regards,

Craig