Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CO sensor and fan circuit

For a Year 12 Design & Technology project, I am planning to create a device which contains a CO sensor and a fan, aimed at reducing the risks of cooking inside a hiking tent. In order to make such a device practical it must be small in size, light and able to run off a small number of batteries.
I would like to create my product so that the fan engages only when the sensor detects upwards of 100ppm of carbon monoxide in the top of the tent, where the device is to be placed. The problem is that I have very little knowledge of electronics and thus have little idea of how to choose the right components and power sources, nor any experience creating PCB designs. I intend to use a sensor stocked by Jaycar: http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RS5615&keywords=carbon+monoxide&form=KEYWORD
This particular sensor requires at least 48 hours' preheating - what does this mean and will it affect my project?
How do I work out which particular components I need to obtain?
Please let me know what else I need to find out.
Thanks

Attachments

• CO sensor RS5615.pdf.zip
    80.7 KB · Views: 81

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I doubt whether you can afford to leave it powered constantly. The device needs to be powered for 2 days prior to you taking measurements.

Thanks for the prompt response. Since posting I have been advised that I am better off using an existing sensor unit and connecting to it a fan. Until further notice, the above problem has been resolved. Thanks again.