Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Chosing a Microscope

Hello all :)
Now I have bought an oscilloscope, I need to invest in other tools. The next one I would like to acquire is a digital microscope, which would help me identify small writings on components and check soldering on PCBs (when I'll get a reflow oven).

I already have an octopus with a lens on it, but without correct lighting it's a pain to use. Same for goggles, it's not easy to use (and magnification is not great, max 3x)

I would like mine to have an HDMI port so I can plug it to my screen and have a bigger image. As for the magnification, I don't really know what minimum value is required to have a good use... I had a look on the internet, and it does not seem to have many different models available. This link provides an overview of different microscopes, but every amazon link is broken...

Do you use such a microscope, and would you recommend it? Budget is about 100€, max 150.

Thanks a lot :)

I would suggest getting an optical stereoscope. I first went with digital and thought it would be better to have things viewed on a monitor but after getting a stereoscope I quickly realized how stubborn and wrong I had been.

You can basically compare the two by watching a pcb video on youtube (digital) vrs looking at a pcb through a magnifying glass (optical).

@Externet can you please repost the image here? I don't have an account on AAC and can't see the image...
Dolby%20bench_zpsa9dvmyu8.jpg

davenn

I would like mine to have an HDMI port so I can plug it to my screen and have a bigger image. As for the magnification,

I recently bought one of these and am thrilled with it .... use it for electronics and for rock and mineral sample to name a couple of them
and yes, it does connect to my PC for a bigger pic, tho the 7" screen it comes with is pretty awesome

Handheld 7 Inch LCD 1080P Digital Microscope 1200X Video Magnification Magnifier 889251514296 | eBay

NOTE ... I have no connection to this seller and it's not the same seller that I dealt with

@davenn, I've seen many of models like this one on the internet, with different brands. Seems like a generic one, initially unbranded.
The one you mention is able to deliver 720p @ 26Hz to "PC", is that the resolution you have when plugging to a computer through U.S.B? Is that enough for you? I don't see any HDMI port mentioned for a direct screen plugin.

@narkeleptk I think I see the point of having an optical microscope (for the image quality + stereoscopic view), but the goal here is to free my eye from any kind of lens / goggles glass when I look at tiny things. Moreover, I was born with a huuuuuuge strabism, for which (even if fixed now) my brain adapted itself and could make me see only through one eye at a time (thus, no / bad 3D representation of the world around me)

@Externet really not bad idea, that would allow me to remove the microscope from my bench when not needed :) Do you have a link to the type of camera you're using here? For the VGA box I think I can find what I need quite easily :). Very impressive workbench, BTW. I think we do not have the same quantity of knowledge and complexity of projects ^^

Thanks a lot!
I could register to these other sites, indeed. I'm a bit afraid of the quantity of information with many forums at a time, but why not.

@narkeleptk I think I see the point of having an optical microscope (for the image quality + stereoscopic view), but the goal here is to free my eye from any kind of lens / goggles glass when I look at tiny things. Moreover, I was born with a huuuuuuge strabism, for which (even if fixed now) my brain adapted itself and could make me see only through one eye at a time (thus, no / bad 3D representation of the world around me)
I get it. I just try to mention it because I always thought similar thoughts when I was first shopping and talked myself in to a rather expensive usb/hdmi scope. I used it for a long time but never really found it helped as much as I thought it should while working and still used my eyes mostly,using the scope more only for inspection after. I was always worried about using an optical one because I have a scar on the back of my eye that causes a blacked out area in my vision. Most noticeable when something reflects really close to my eye or looking through telescopes for example. I was worried the stereoscope would be similar but.... Eventually I ended up getting one anyway (mainly cause Im a tool hoarder) but also from disappointed in my work quality with the hdmi scope when reworking really fine pitch mcu's (something like a qfp144). Even under the best magnification I was still missing bad joints, they would look perfect on the monitor even when obviously bad. I do still use a hdmi scope that attaches to the stereoscope I record with but all my work is done under the lenses now. When inspecting under scope vrs on the monitor its very easy to miss bad joints on the monitor still but looking through scope its clear as day. Luckily my bad eye is only noticeable if I use a really high magnification eye piece. The basic one I dont even notice.

I looked for "microscope bullet camera" and came into the microscopes used to compare 2 bullets marks when doing ballistic research, not really what I need :D
I don't really get it, Externet, these cameras are not meant to be used as microscopes, are you using a different lens adapted to this purpose? One lens per magnification level ?

Thanks for the links narkeleptk :) I saw those cameras in different places. Most of them has very high resolution CMOS chips (e.g. 38MP). Do you know if this feature can be used to make extra zoom ? That does not seem to be written on the aliexpress pages. and because the HDMI signal is in 1080p I don't see the point of such big sensors (except to take photos) if we can't zoom, and thus will go for a lower resolution camera.

No idea. it has buttons for zoom that I imagine work when hooked to a hdmi source. The Northridge Fix guy on youtube uses this style, maybe shoot him a message asking about it.
Ive only used this type cam with usb and on a trinocular stereoscope. The buttons dont seem to function with usb and magnification is done by the lenses. The setup in links I sent looks like its meant to function the same way and has been whats popular lately.

I dont know anything about camera's and dont have a good eye for this type of stuff but I dont think the image quality is all that good already. Not sure if you can really go by what is being said so I'd hate to see what the lower resolution listed camera's looked like. I have this one to https://amscope.com/products/cl-uhm350 and I dont really see any difference between the two video wise.

I did some research and according to picClick, the cameras in the aliexpress link do have the ability to do digital zoom. The ebay page of the same camera (found on picClick) states that with the maximum zoom using the 300x lens, one can have a field of view of 1mm on screen. Which I think is largely enough.
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for all your feedback!