Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Broken uplighter lamp

I have a (father and son) uplighter that I recently replaced the main bulb in but put in a 400w instead of a 300w. It worked for several hours but then shut down (the reading light also). I checked all the fuses and the plug fuse and can't see anything wrong. The problem is I don't know anything about electronics and non of the local businesses I've contacted are interested. Would anyone like to take it to bits and replace whatever has burnt out as I don't want to bin it as it is one of a pair that I would like to get working again. I live near Harrogate in North Yorkshire.

bertus

Hello,

Are the fuses of the lamp origenal?
If they where replaced by fuses with a higher value, the lamp is not protected well.
It is a bad idea to replace a lamp with one of a higher wattage.
I assume the lamp has a dimmer circuit.
The dimmer circuit is now defective.
Most likely the triac in the dimmer circuit got bad.

bertus

thank you - to answer your questions:
Yes the fuses are original.
Yes it has a separate dimmer for both the main light and the reading lamp.
Where can I find instructions/help on how to replace the triac in the dimmer circuit?

bertus

Hello,

Unplug the lamp.
Open the dimmer box.
Take a picture of both sides of the printed circuit board.
The pictures may have a size of 300 kB to post.
When you see a part with 3 legs, note the number.

Bertus

Open the dimmer module housing.

Pull off the two dimmer knobs, and unscrew the two nuts holding the potentiometers (with long nose pliers) or similar tool.
Take out the screws from the back of the unit, the two halves should now separate.
Lift the plastic cover away to view the circuit board.
You HOPEFULLY should see a fuse on the circuit board. Replace the fuse with the same specs.
Take pictures of each step to aid in re-assembly.
upload_2021-4-13_9-43-25.jpeg

Martin