Maker Pro
Maker Pro

BOSCH reputable car battery manufacturer? then where are datasheets?

As the title says: BOSCH reputable car battery manufacturer? then where are datasheets?

For example take Bosch S4 car battery, where is datasheet with listed discharge curves? internal resistance?

Harald Kapp

Did you ask them? This information is probably not deemed interesting for the majority of customers as these will simply replace an old battery with a new one of the same rating.
I'm pretty sure Bosch has that information as it will be requested by e.g. car manufacturers.

Yes I did. No reply.
The only way got a reply from them is if I post on their UK forum. But that's a joke as one guy replies to everything there.

Perhaps somebody else was more lucky? If you have to be "lucky" to get datasheets for products that is.

BOSCH stuff is very poor quality. I have had to fix their gas heaters, work on their starter motors and many other items.
They have NO design department where you can provide improvements or talk to anyone with any knowledge.

Sorry Colin, but I must disagree with your statement that "BOSCH stuff is very poor quality".
Bosch is a huge company that make all sorts of stuff, most of which is very good quality. Many of their products are top of the range.

Forty years as an automotive electrician has convinced me that their automotive products are top quality.
A large percentage of the fuel injection systems on motor vehicles are either manufactured by Bosch, or manufactured under licence to Bosch.

"It has always been an unbearable thought to me that someone could inspect one of my products and find it inferior in any way. For that reason I have constantly tried to produce products which withstand the closest scrutiny – products which prove themselves superior in every respect...”
- Robert Bosch, 1918 -

You have obviously never repaired any of their hyrogenerator gas hot water systems.
Neither have you pulled apart one of their starter motor solenoids.

smilem, why do you want this information?

The S4 is an automotive starting battery, so the specs listed relate to this usage, eg dimensions, terminal type and location, CCA rating, and Amp-hour rating.

Are you wanting to use them for another application?

Don't even know what a "hydro-generator gas hot water system" looks like, but I have worked on hundreds, probably thousands, of Bosch starter motors.

What is it that you don't like about their solenoids?

Harald Kapp

@smilem: I sent Bosch an E-Mail request for the datasheet. They replied, asking for the part number, something like 0 092 Sxx xxx. If you can supply that number they promised to send me a datasheet which I could forward to you in turn.

Harald Kapp

Dunno.

I can only assume that the batteries were left to their own devices and re-charged (aka maintenance charge) after a 7 month and an additional 3 month interval.

If you're interested in more details, please contact Bosch's customer service directly. I only posted the files I got from them without any further explanation.

Happy new year
Harald

Please send me PM with the email you got these datasheets from. Thank you.

P.S. I hope they will send me 20hour discharge curve to 10.5v

" I hope they will send me 20hour discharge curve to 10.5v"
Car batteries are NEVER designed for discharge to 10.5v over a 20 hour period.
They are designed for 10 seconds of use at 350 to 550 amps.

Yes
" I hope they will send me 20hour discharge curve to 10.5v"
Car batteries are NEVER designed for discharge to 10.5v over a 20 hour period.
They are designed for 10 seconds of use at 350 to 550 amps.
I know that, but amp hour hating is still specified by 20how discharge test. It's important where how the curve looks to see the health of battery. The BOSCH datasheets does not have the graphs or internal resistance specifications !
Those datasheets are plain marketing claims and specifications, one cant judge their battery condition given the fact you have tools so measure it.

"I know that, but amp hour hating is still specified by 20how discharge test. It's important where how the curve looks to see the health of battery. "

What are you talking about?

BOSCH don't make any batteries. They are all made by Chinese or Indian workers, just like all the other heap imitations.
Amp-hour hating does not apply to car batteries.
If you hate using the word amp-hour, use the word COLD CRANKING AMPS.

Don't you understand?
Car batteries are designed to produce a high current for starting. The size of the plates are increased and the number of plates increased until the desired CURRENT is obtained.
The actual amp-hour capacity is a by-product of this endeavor and is quite often not even mentioned in the data sheet.
If you want to use a-hr, don't buy a car battery.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
If you want hundreds or thousands of deep discharge/re-charge cycles don't even think about using a car battery or any other lead-acid battery chemistry. Go Google something more appropriate. Maybe a very large capacitor.

BTW, I purchased a very nice Bosch hand-held jig saw (what we used to call a sabre-saw) last year. Really nice saw compared to the two sabre-saws I was trying to use to cut cement backer-board. Lots of different saw blades available too. And a really spiffy blade holding system and load-bearing roller back-up for the bottom of the blade. Cuts through cement backer-board with a tungsten-carbide blade like a hot knife through butter. Let's hope Colin is wrong and it lasts a long time and does a lot because it sure wasn't inexpensive. I think my Taurus with over 200,000 miles on it uses Bosch platinum-electrode spark plugs. Original equipment, I think. No problemo with those plugs yet, but modern ignition systems will probably fire anything that doesn't leak pressure. I'm not saying I am a Bosch fan-boy, but my (limited) experience so far has been good.