Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bench power supply advice

Hi All. Not been on here for a quite a while as lost my workshop and ongoing back issues are causing me to change the way I work.

Anyhow, I've made a small area in my flat and am in need of getting a smaller in size bench power supply if one exists, also with ongoing back problems the lighter the better, but smaller is priority?

At the minute I'm using a Rapid electronics DC HY3002-3 - "The Rapid HY3002-3 is a Digital Triple Output Bench Power Supply. This power supply has three independent output channels: two of them provide adjustable output of 0-30V and 0 to 2A, while the third has a fixed output of 5V DC 3A"

Dimensions are; Width 260mm, Lenght 315mm, Height 155mm

https://www.rapidonline.com/rapid-hy3002-3-triple-output-bench-psu-led-2x0-30v-0-2a-1x-5v-3a-85-1921

I run it in dual rail configuration for -12v/ 0 / +12v... it would be good to have the option to run at -15v / 0 /+15v also but not essential

Also defo need, short circuit protection/current limiter/reverse polarity protection

I've had a look around but thought I'd ask here as figured there might be recommendations from folk who have experience of specific models... money isn't too much of a problem as it will be an investment so i can carry on building.

I've still not had a chance to finish my PSU whch you guys were helping me with, I've decided to start again with a ready made alluminium case to make sure there are no bends/strained wires which I could forsee being a problem further down the line, I hopefully will be redoing that project around the middle of May, and will post in the thread.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Last edited:
Dimensions are; Width 260mm, Lenght 315mm, Height 155mm
That's pretty compact for what it is already. I doubt any space you save from getting a smaller one would make much difference to your working space.

If I had the 'spare' cash to purchase a smaller PSU I'd use it to purchase another (vital?) piece of test equipment and/or put it towards the cost of a better 'scope for example.

Here's an idea..... build a small box containing a couple of LM317's - one to regulate voltage and one to limit current. Fit one of those cheap dual V/I digital displays and fit a power socket on the rear - an INPUT power socket.

In this way you can plug in any old wall wart, laptop PSU or spare power pack you have lying around and get a simple variable DC PSU with current limiting in a VERY small box.

Cheers

I suspected as much in terms of spec and size, thanks for replying

I don't quite know how to achieve as you suggest with using LM317's but will do my own research as suggested

best

Darren

The LM317 data sheet shows how to configure the device as both a voltage regulator and current limiter. The very low component count makes the solution very simple (and quick) to implement - a bridge rectifier, smoothing, two extra capacitors and two resistors - ta dah..... Robert's your mother's brother.

A variable (1.25 to 30V if you want) PSU with 0-1.5A current limiting (needs an extra LM317 and resistor).