Maker Pro
Maker Pro

adding fans and heatsinks to components

so ive been wanting to add some 12v fans and heatsinks to some different things like my hifi reciever, blu ray whatever really.i have extra parts and time. im new to modding and thought adding fans would b a good place to start. my question is how can i attach a fan to the transformer of my hifi so it powers on and off with the reciever. if i can find something that is 12v, then if i find something how will i know thatit is safe to connect to it so the fan will not pull to much amps and burn up whatever. what would be good for connections as i only want one ac plug to power fans on various components.

davenn

hi there
welcome

most of your standard computer fans are very low current draw ... usually less than 500mA, most in the ~ 250mA range
just find a 12V rail that you can power it off
There are lots of different sizes of fans as you may well realise, just pick one that fits into your device :)

thank you should i splice it in closer to the transformer before it has the chance to possibly interfere with signal/sound quality? i tend to overthink stuff and then worry about frying something ; i would say this is another one. one more stupid question, there are some chips or processors that get pretty hot on the boards (yes chips not transistors or regulators) and i would like to put heatsinks on them how do i go about attaching them. i know to use compound and that i mean physically hold them tight when there is no way to drill a hole or add a spring (or is there?)

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
thank you should i splice it in closer to the transformer before it has the chance to possibly interfere with signal/sound quality? ...
What transformer? These 12 V computer fans operate from DC. Transformers only provide AC. Power your fans from a 12 V DC wall-wart providing an appropriate current capability. With judicious location of the fan(s), you won't need to add any heat sinks. Direct the moving air over the parts producing heat. Make sure there is a way for the air to get out of the enclosure.

davenn

What transformer? These 12 V computer fans operate from DC. Transformers only provide AC. Power your fans from a 12 V DC wall-wart providing an appropriate current capability. With judicious location of the fan(s), you won't need to add any heat sinks. Direct the moving air over the parts producing heat. Make sure there is a way for the air to get out of the enclosure.

the AC to DC PSU within the particular device ... I'm pretty sure he understands that :)

Hold your horses! o_O
It is a good thing that you are enthusiastic and have
"parts & time".
Did you hear the saying "if it ain't broken don't fix it"...

Well,
why in the first place do you think any of those devices need extra cooling or modding?
If you don't have a good answer to that one,
leave them alone and play with the fan using a power supply,battery etc. for learning.

Apart from not possibly damaging your devices, thus saving you $$$,
fans produce unwonted ambient noise.
System designers do their best to design them out because of that reason alone...;)

so ive been wanting to add some 12v fans and heatsinks to some different things like my hifi reciever, blu ray whatever really.i have extra parts and time. im new to modding and thought adding fans would b a good place to start. my question is how can i attach a fan to the transformer of my hifi so it powers on and off with the reciever. if i can find something that is 12v, then if i find something how will i know thatit is safe to connect to it so the fan will not pull to much amps and burn up whatever. what would be good for connections as i only want one ac plug to power fans on various components.

Does your hifi have excess power to draw from? Probably not. An external power supply is suggested. You can drive a few fans from a 12 V 1 Amp power supply. Shop for the physical size you need and take note of amps needed.

Blow in or suck out? Two fans? One blowing, one sucking to provide flow through ventilation.
Dust filter? Suggested. Especially if you have dogs or cats.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
the AC to DC PSU within the particular device ... I'm pretty sure he understands that :)
Well, he did say he was "new to modding" so I wouldn't assume he understands AC from DC, much less where to find the correct DC voltage and how to make connections to it. Hence the suggestion to use a separate wall-wart DC power supply. @dorke expressed my sentiments exactly.

Most of your consumer electrical gear is well designed when it comes to cooling. If it ain't broke don't fix it is good advise ! But if you really feel extra cooling is needed, be sure to select the appropriate Voltage rail AC/DC etc, and you can always slow the fans speed with a series resistor.

You should be aware that some circuits are sensative to noise, and some axial fans can do this, giving rise to extra problems. Almost all consumer electricals don't need intervention.