Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Acdelco amfm cassette radio

I would like to replace the belt or belts if there are more than one with my acdelco amfm cassette radio player. The unit is # 16008160, 2700 series from my 1980 Corvette. The tape will play for a few seconds then stop, after ejection a few inches are lose. I hope someone would know what type of belt or belts and total length I need for this unit, I think it may be the A type mechanism. I would like to keep car as original as possible.
Thank you.

Back in those days I used to repair them. When you say a couple of inches are loose, I suspect you mean tape is coming out of the shell. There are more issues involved than just belts. The two holes in the cassette get inserted with two stubs the same shape as the cassette and turns them. As the cassette tape travels left to right while playing, the right side, commonly referred to as a cassette table, reel table, idler wheel, take up reel, etc. keeps a constant pressure on the tape to keep it winding on the reel within the cassette. If this isn't happening, depending on model the cassette will be ejected. It can be caused by dried out rubber on the reel, a felt pad within the reel (so it acts like a clutch) or a rubber wheel that turns the rubber wheel on the take up reel. Being 40 years old, the unit must be taken apart and bench tested to determine the problem. I would also suspect all the rubber parts have somewhat lost their grip. You're better off taking it to a shop for repair. They should have aftermarket parts that should replace the originals, if still available.

Thankyou, I am in Ontario Canada, there is no repair shop in my general area that's why I was going to do the work myself if I could find the parts for it.

Depending on your troubleshooting skill level, you could open the chassis and observe the operation using a 12VDC supply, ....
but as @PETERDECO tried to tell you, even if you see which worn part is at fault, you're still going to be without a replacement.
My 2-cents worth is that I agree with @PETERDECO on this, as a shop would have access to the necessary parts, and would
be able to identify anything else that might be a problem issue.
There are probably mail-order repair shops available.
You can try it yourself, but my guess is that asking about the issue here, means you should let someone with experience
look at it. It probably needs a good lube job too.
If you're going to try this yourself, I'd Google 'repair kits' for your model, and see
if anybody has a kit of the most common (failure) repair parts available for it.

Last edited by a moderator: