Maker Pro
Maker Pro

accidentally cut off 24 pin ATX power connector and want to reattach, question

I accidentally cut off the 24 pin ATX power supply connector because I thought I was going to use the power supply for another purpose, but that turned out not to be the case. I want to reinstall back into the desktop, but I have a question: since all the red, yellow, orange, and black wires were going to be combined (for greater current handling in non-PC use), I am wondering if I could just combine the same color cutoff wires from the connector with the ones coming from the power supply? Would sure save a lot of extra soldering. For example, in case I'm not clear, can I combine all the orange wires from the supply and all the orange wires from the connector and solder together? Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking, yes you can.
You’ll notice that all the ‘orange’ wires are grouped and soldered to a single bus line.
So in theory, it won’t matter what ‘orange’ +3.3V wire you connect to any +3.3V pin on the connector.

But you’d be better to solder each one and insulate with heat shrink.

Martin

But you’d be better to solder each one and insulate with heat shrink.

Martin

Thanks. I was about to proceed with the wire combining until I saw this statement. Why? It is maybe because there would be too much potential for excess current flow in the combined lines?

Why? It is maybe because there would be too much potential for excess current flow
Whatever the amperage on each rail is, will be the max whether one wire or 10 wires.
The connector has several wires of the same voltages because they split off and go to various parts of the circuit.
You can solder them all together with no ill affect but will be very unsightly.

But make sure all the wires you solder together are definitely from the same rail. Check they are all bunched together and soldered to the same place on the board.

Martin

Last edited: