Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Alarm when handbag opens accidentally

Perhaps a photosensor/transistor could be used as the switch between night/day mode to reduce complexity and eliminate the need for a μcu. It would not be as sensitive of course. I would suggest placing/stiching the vibrating device high up in the bag and perhaps include some loose metallic items in a small pouch next to the device such that when it goes off you will get both an auditory/tactile alert. The reasoning behind this is that you may not feel the vibration by itself if your purse is set down or even on your shoulder for that matter as the strap would absorb some shock.

Thank you, that's very helpful

That's definitely a possibility, you can even go to an extreme by using your smartphone to control it. (That's really going to be overkill, unless you are thinking of commercializing it)

Using a MCU will definitely give you more headroom to add stuff later on. But I believe you could also use discrete components like those in the circuit.

Have you decided on some motors for the vibration? As well as pricing, battery type and form factor?

That would be great but don't think I'd ever be able to do that! No not yet, I was going to look if there were buzzers that made sound and also vibrated, but like someone else said I might not feel it in my bag. Thinking I could get something that goes up the strap? Hmm

Well I know this post *may* not be well accepted by the rest. But here it goes.

You did mention a college project, so I thought of sharing the following kickstarter project which helps you keep track of your items so that you don't lose them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/416260479/smartwallit-redefines-wallet-and-makes-wallet-smar

Since a smartphone is almost always with us, and since it already has a good notification system, having your device communicate to it would seem like a reasonable choice.

I know it's not what exactly what you are thinking off, but maybe if you start with this "open-bag detector" and add more functionality, it would amount to a decent project?

And it's not really difficult to have a smartphone communicate with electronics. If you're determined to learn and have the time/resources, then why not give it a shot?

Yes definitely, although I have been told this idea is too simple. I still want to play about with it though, I'm not able to use it for my final idea but thought it would help me learn a bit
Well, you could make it more complicated by having the handbag send you a text message when it comes open. I believe this is called the "internet of things".

Bob