Maker Pro
Maker Pro

9014 Direct Replacement???

Ok, simple question, I have a 9v circuit that flashes a led. The output of the LM358 is a 9014 transistor. I want to add more LEDs but the 9014 gets a little warm....is there a power transistor that can directly replace it????

You could try a 2N2222 NPN.
It should give a few more mA.
Failing that, an N channel mosfet or a relay.
Show us the circuit and somebody will be able to give you a more precise answer.
Depending on the LED wiring configuration, you may be able to run more on your existing circuit.

Martin

Here it is, its not very exacting as far as components go

Your schematic is too small to see its details, but it looks like the dual opamp is a triangle wave generator driving the transistor as a linear emitter-follower. Then of course the little transistor gets hot and so will any little transistor. Add a power transistor to drive your bunch of "breathing" LEDs and the little transistor can drive the power transistor. With many LEDs then the power transistor will need a heatsink.

Last edited by a moderator:
The transistor here is used as an emitter-follower. If an N-channel Mosfet is used then its gate must have a fairly high voltage for it to be a source-follower.

It has me beat why they insist on switching on the high side.

So simple to use an n-channel mosfet ( logic level if required) and take the LEDs to ground.

The dual opamp creates a triangle waveform that slowly brightens the LEDs then it slowly dims the LEDs. The transistor is an emitter-follower that is linear (not a switch) so it gets hot.

Here is the tiny schematic posted and a larger one from Google. The transistor cannot be a Mosfet unless you use a much higher supply voltage and change some resistor values. Use a power Sziklai follower.

breathing LED.png

I had to Google that, thank you.
For anybody else interested here.

@Audioguru can you please explain how that works?.
The darlington is the same pair and this is a complimentary pair. Q1 collector is connected to Q2 base, that confused my little brain.

Martin

Ok, I still don’t understand.
With the collectir of Q1 to base of Q2, sorry I can’t get my head around that configuration.
Perhaps you could explain in layman terms please.

Martin