Maker Pro
Maker Pro

0/1-10V dimming problem

Hi. I have Siemens 5TC8424 potentiometer/switch (http://www.elektroland24.de/out/media/5TC8424_Bedienungsanl.-5TC8424.pdf), 0-10V transformer/driver (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9l3lhqYEi8vREctSmtiajZHU1E/view?usp=sharing) and 36V 36W 900mAh LED panel. The problem is that I cant control the driver (and LED is not lightning) with that potentiometer.
I connect all parts as shown in Siemens connection example. So the potentiometer has input of L and outputs it to the driver and also outputs 1-10v signal to the driver. Driver additionally has input of N. I have measured that the driver correctly gets 220V. However, 0-10v (control) doesn't provide any voltage. Is that normal? Driver outputs 3-4V only while it should output 36V .
I have told it to the supplier of the driver and led and they responded to me that the potentiometer should output 10V on 0-10v wires (http://1drv.ms/1DTQPI6). But they have connected both L and N to their potentiometer's input. Siemens potentiometer cant accept N as I know.
So, are here several different 0-10v technologies like active and passive? Or is my Siemens potentiometer broken and actually should output 0-10v?

Last edited:
Thank you! I am not the electrician at all so I don't understand the details. But I understood that you suggest to do the work around to make the control wires "active"? Or this trick is just for testing is the driver is working/being controlled at all?

I still don't understand the whole picture... The manufacturer (in China) of the driver uses such scheme:
1-10v-dimming-led-panel-light.jpg

where potentiometer/dimmer is fully connected to AC (both L and N). Here (above) it is possible to measure 1-10V signal with voltmeter.
However, Siemens (in Germany) is using different scheme (I have edited the picture above):

siemens.jpg

Here it is not possible (or maybe I don't know how) to measure 1-10V signal with voltmeter. Is that normal behavior? Thus, I think, the driver from China is not being controlled by Siemens potentiometer.

So, both Siemens and China manufacturer are using 1-10V dimming technology but they work differently... I must have misunderstood something. Do you know what is wrong here?

The problem is that I am using Siemens (German) potentiometer (and other switches as well) so I have to use its wiring schema. As I understand, schema on the last page of http://www.meanwell.com/search/LPF-40D/LPF-40D-spec.pdf is similar to "German" schema, right? So maybe it would be easier to change the driver?
But I still don't understand how the 0-10v signal is going in German schema if only Live is in input of the potentiometer (?).

I don't see any difference between the Chinese (driver) and German (controller) systems. The Siemens controller simply has the series On/Off switch included, whereas the Chinese driver circuit does not show an On/Off switch. The driver says it can be controlled by 0-10V and the controller says it supplies 0-10V, so there should be no problem.

If the drivers are powered and the controller is not connected to the drivers, they should light the LEDs 100%. Do they?
If the controller is powered and not connected to the drivers, it should supply 0-10V. Does it?

Colin's suggestion to bypass the controller's On/Off switch and try controlling with batteries seems another sensible test.

If the drivers are powered and the controller is not connected to the drivers, they should light the LEDs 100%. Do they? - no. I have also just asked the manufacturers of the driver and they told me that the LED will not light if 0-10v signal is not provided or is 0.
If the controller is powered and not connected to the drivers, it should supply 0-10V. Does it? - no. This is actually weird. It doesn't provide any voltage through 1-10v ports. I will probably call Siemens on Monday to ask about that. But actually, should it output the voltage through 1-10v if only L is connected to the controller?

Thanks for the answer. I have answered above.

You comment in the original post that
Siemens potentiometer cant accept N as I know.
and, as you note, it is not clear which standards this equipment complies with. In "E1.3, 0 to 10 V Analog Control Specification." the control signal wires should not be connected to the AC mains. The only circuit I have found for the 5TC8424 is certainly incomplete and may be purely symbolic, but it shows it as a simple switch and variable resistor - in which case it would not output any DC voltage! If it does indeed output a 10V signal, then it must get power from somewhere and the drivers are not generally required to provide power, so I think the N connection for the Siemens controller might be derived via the load circuit (the driver). To obtain a 10V output, you would then need to connect a LED driver module as shown in the Siemens diagram.

In this document http://tsp.plasa.org/tsp/documents/docs/Guide_E1-3.pdf section 6 has a few comments on testing and one suggests that you may need to connect a load of 10 - 100k to the output (0-10V output) when measuring the voltage. Colin's suggestion of using batteries is also mentioned.

I haven't been able to track down any documentation on the CM-40VAHD900C. I wonder if you have any other info? (I did wonder if there are any other markings under that label which is peeling off - perhaps you thought the same!)

I should add that I have no personal experience of these devices and my comments are based simply on what I have gleaned from your documents, others I've found and on basic electrics.

I have "solved" the problem by buying MeanWell LPF-40D-48 power supply which supports "passive" or resistance dimming. The problem was that Chinese power supply needed a real 0-10v while Siemens is just a simple potentiometer which doesn't provide it. It just change the resistance. BTW, MeanWell supports three types of dimming.
I still didn't test Chinese driver with the battery but I will try it one day and I believe it will work then :)
Thank you!