Maker Pro
Maker Pro

220v vs 110v question

Hello, I purchased a potato peeler from England which arrived wired for 220v which is standard for England. So, I had to purchase a step-up transformer (110v to 220v). With some time to examine the inner workings, I'm wondering if I were to remove the small circuit board I'm holding in the one picture if it will make the device a 110v device for use here in the U.S. without a transformer. I originally was told the way the motor was wound is what made it 220v, but after looking inside I wondered if it was this small circuit board which made it 220v. Thoughts?

Attachments

• potato peeler 1.jpg
    potato peeler 1.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 19
  • potato peeler 2.jpg
    potato peeler 2.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

bertus

Hello,

The board you are holding is an EMI filter board.
It will not change the voltage.

Bertus

I see what appears to be brushes, if so it makes it a Universal motor, Which if so, should run to some extent on 120v also.
The torque increases with load on this type of (series field) motor so with nothing to lose, try it on 120v.

Ask the UK about wiring the peeler for 110V !
If not possible, the outlets your clothesdryer, range, water heater... work are 220V and can be extended to your peeler, or a new circuit breaker added in your panel can supply a new dedicated outlet.

The peeler motor will run a bit faster on 60hz.

Your least expensive option may have been to just replace the motor.

Although if a Universal motor as it appears to be, the frequency has no effect on RPM ;)
The RPM on this motor is dependent on load, and voltage to a lesser extent.