Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Yamaha RX-A3060 quit working after storm

First time user to this forum. Asking for help to repair my audio-video reciever that I recently inherited when my 65 year old father died from Covid. My father purchased this unit used from a good friend of his and he quickly fell in love with it as he said it was the last and best unit he would ever own. A few months prior to his death we experienced a storm and he lost power suddenly. After power being out for approximately a half hour the power came back on and my father's prize possession that he enjoyed so much unfortunately did not turn back on. Unit was plugged into a surge protector along with his TV and a powered subwoofer. All other equipment that was plugged into this surge protector made it without damage. This Yamaha rx-a3060 was the only electronic that didn't survive. I am so motivated to repair this unit due to the fact it was my late father's and I too am a lover of the unit for all of the options it has and how well this power house sounds. Dad and I enjoyed the hell out of this unit. He was so bummed when it wouldn't turn back on. Dad never got the chance to do the research to try and repair the unit. He and I both are avid diyers and enjoy it. My background is automotive as I was a Toyota technician for 22 years so I have a strong mechanical background. I'm reluctant to mess with the unit until I have an idea of how it works at least. I do have a repair manual I downloaded online. If there is anyone on this forum that may have an idea off what may be the issue it would be so much appreciated by myself and also my father from the heavens. Thank you in advance for your help. Have a great day.

Harald Kapp

First check: fuses (of course you have done that - at least the externally accessible one(s)).

Next:
  • disconnect from mains.
  • open the case, check for any visible defects in the power supply section (usually next to the mains input) like
    - internal fuses
    - surge protectors (MOVs)
    - bulging electrolytic capacitors.
Post some crisp photos of this sections and any components that may look suspicious to you (< 300 kB for image upload - per image)