Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Yamaha Receiver HDMI out port problem - trying to troubleshoot PCB

Hello – this is my first post here. I’m really new to electronics so I’m hoping for some help here.

Previously I was able to fix a plasma tv by learning, based on help on youtube, what the problem was for my specific brand and then buying a resistor and soldering it on. I was pretty happy that someone with my limited experience could fix something like that, but it was really not all that hard given that the problem, due to the symptoms, was directly given in a video.

Now, I’m on to a new challenge, and this will be a little more difficult. I have a Yamaha Receiver (HTR-6063) which is the same as the RX-V667. I came back from a week vacation and upon my return was getting the “no signal” on my tv. All my source components are connected to HDMI-in’s on the receiver, and the HDMI-out (only 1) is connected to my TV. It worked perfectly prior to my vacation. However, now I only get “no signal”. I know it’s the receiver due to troubleshooting. It’s not the TV (it’s fine), not the cables (they’re fine), and when I connect a source through the receiver using component cables (and component cables to the tv) it works fine. Therefore, I know it’s a problem with the receiver and specifically something to do with the HDMI-out (all sources on the HDMI-ins give “no signal” on the tv). Prior to going on vacation, I unplug all my electronics and the receiver was unplugged. BTW, the sound from the HDMI sources works fine through my speakers. Just the HDMI-out from the receiver to the TV isn’t working. I cannot find anything on youtube or forums for this specific problem, at least not anything with a suggested fix, so I have to try to diagnose the problem myself.

I have taken the receiver apart and am starting with the HDMI board to see if there’s anything wrong with it. However, I’m running into issues diagnosing any problems. I’ve attached a couple photos of the board, the HDMI-out is the HDMI port that is separated further from the other HDMI ports. My troubleshooting problems are:

-Determining how to see if there is tracing problem in the PCB. The tracing on the board is so hard to follow. If this were you, what would you be looking for in your search? The HDMI out has pins that connect to something that is only a short distance away and just basically seems to be a hole in the board, and then also has pins where they go much further and connect to some type of processor.

-Determining if any of the capacitors are bad. None of them are bulging or have any visible damage, but I still am trying to test them using a multimeter and am having problems determining what the correct values would be with a multimeter.

-Determining if there is any other trouble shooting I could do on this board besides the above two items. There doesn’t seem to be any resistors or anything else I can specifically test. I have read in my research that printed circuit boards are pretty much impossible to fix and need replacement usually b/c there are no resistors or other components (besides capacitors) that the average person can fix. Is this correct?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • IMG_2947.jpg
    IMG_2947.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • IMG_2952.jpg
    IMG_2952.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,675
  • IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 1,422

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
What are those blue wires?

The board contains a lot of big chips that are hard to replace as well as being possibly very difficult to source -- hope the problem isn't one if them.

I would tend to start from the power supply and move forward. Power supplies are not uncommonly faulty and early failure can affect some parts of the device before the others. If you're looking for dead caps, they're also most likely to be in the power supply.

There's lots of resistors and capacitors on those boards. They're just a lot smaller than you are familiar with. Look for small rectangular blocks with one contact on each end. If they're black in colour (often with 3 or 4 digits on the top, they're resistors. If they're beige, they're capacitors (and are often unmarked).

I've marked a couple on the image below.

CandR.png
Capacitors and resistors come in other packages too, for example the metal can half shown near the bottom right corner is a capacitor. With a sharper image I could identify more components for you, but I think you get the idea.

Thank you Steve for your reply. The service guide for this model identifies a "main board" which is at the bottom of the receiver (when looking from the top down). it has a bunch of components (resistors/capacitors) on it, so that is where I will go to next for my troubleshooting. I have to remove some other boards to get to it so i can't do a complete visual inspection right now. i guess what you're saying is that even though it appears to be only an hdmi-out issue that doesn't guarantee the problem is localized to the HDMI board.

I guess what my research was saying regarding boards with those chips is what you were saying - basically very hard if not possible to source. thanks for confirming that for me and now i won't waste my time with it.

i don't know however how to test a capacitor on a board with a multimeter. i of course will do a visual check first and if something is blown or bulging, that will be helpful. however without that it could seem like a good part but be faulty.

thanks again for your reply and your help.

forgot to answer about the blue wires. they are attached to the board at one point, and then seem to simply be tying ribbon connectors etc down for what i guess is organizational purposes.

i'm back. unfortunately i'm having problems getting to the main board on the receiver but am looking again at the board that are pictured in my first post. i'm going to have a go at checking the capacitors. based on my research it doesn't appear to be possible to check the capacitance of these with a multimeter while they're on the board so i'm looking at taking them off the board to check. However, when i looked at the board, the capacitors that you see pictured in my first post (the small black and grey ones) do not appear to be soldered through the board as the underside of the board doesn't have any holes/solder that correspond to their location. therefore i'm confused as to how i would replace them after getting them off the board.

they are attached to some kind of small square platform if that helps.

any ideas what is going on here?

thanks,

pab

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Yes, those are all surface mount components.

They're pretty close together and without some experience you'll have a hell of a time replacing them. Being small and not having leads means you heat the component directly. If you're not careful you can damage them.

I would strongly recommend against removing things just to test them.

Have you taken a close look at the power supply? Can you post some pictures?