Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Xantrex Truecharge2 charger fan op & error

Hello,

I have an Xantrex Truepoint2 20 Amp (TC2012)

I'm not familiar with Truechargers with fans (earlier generation used heat sinks.)

The Truecharge2 I have the fan seems to be running all the time. Everytime I check the charger it's fan has been on.

I'm wondering if it's normal for the Truecharge2 fan to be on? or does it have a fan controller that turns on and off the fan at certain temperatures. I don't have the optional temperature probe and remote panel, which I read has other charger controls (such as iirc temperature setpoints?)

I'm trying to troubleshoot a fan error as two times, while the charger was connected to a new starting battery the next morning there was a fan error (red light and fan light blinking)

The Truecharge2 was still charging normally with the fan error.
After disconnecting both AC and DC the reconnecting the fan error would disappear.

Before starting to troubleshoot I first need to know if the fan is suppose to be running all the time?

Thanks for the review. Even though the review isn't very technical the author states that the fan rarely runs and when it runs is quieter than an original converter. My suspicions is it uses a controlled fan as I don't see any large heat sinks such as used with the Truecharge (version 1). I've had various chargers and RV converter chargers such as the Intellipower that may have a small fan along with large heat sinks that appear to perform the majority of the cooling.

I'm going to need to dismantle and look for any internal temperature sensors as well as fan control circuits. Even though the charger is out of warranty I was thinking about trying to call and contact Xantrex tech support to see if I'm able to find more information about it's fan control. I don't think any service manual would be available to the consumer and general public?