Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring for a Voltage Selector Switch

While beginning the task of replacing a broken fuse holder in a sound effects processor unit, I discovered loose wire with a resistor attached to the end of it. The other end was attached to the chassis ground of the unit. I'm thinking the resistor lead broke off of the 115/230 voltage selector switch since that's about the only thing the short wire could reach. There are two terminals on the switch that are joined/linked together on the 115 end of the switch.

Does it make sense that this resistor could have broken off of those joined terminals? I'm not an electrical type guy, but can solder the replacement fuse holder in and if I have to, reconnect the resistor.

Any advice will be of big help.
Jack
Voltage Selector Switch.jpeg

Harald Kapp

I don't know why a resistor would be connected directly to mains.
Please supply a closer look at the switch and the wiring. From the current photo hardly anything useful can be deduced.

I also wondered why it would be connected to a ground. this unit was manufactured in the USA in the 1990's time frame.
thank you for your reply.
switch.jpeg switch1.jpeg

By the look of the crimp on the earth lug and the joint between the black lead and the resistor, someone's bent idea of a modification.
Should not be any connection there so best idea would be to remove it completely.

Okay. I will take your advice and remove the stray wire/resistor from the ground lug.
thanks to both of you that replied.
Jack

I'm thinking along the line of Bluejets.
There are some fuses that actually have a resistor inside the glass fuse. I would guess someone previously replaced the fuse and may have seen or had a resistor inside the fuse assembly, and was experimenting with attempting to add a resistor to the fuse assembly if he could only find the fusible-wire type. Just a guess here, but in any event, I'd go with Bluejets advice to just remove the resistor
and wire so it doesn't someday contact something in the chassis that it shouldn't.