Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Will we ever get waterproof electronics for us consumers?

Hey guys & gals

I'm new here but I have a quick question do you think we will get waterproof electronics soon? Like Waterproof IPhones i see are looking to make a appearance in the next model.

How are some you waterproofing your projects,? I do see companies like liquipel and hzo with some promising tech for waterproofing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always get the assumption that manufactures don't want to make waterproof electronics. For example a phone, you know how much money they would have lost if they made toilet proof phones in the past 5 years?

This type of oversight, if you want to call it that, seems very deliberate and for a reason. But that is all just speculation

water proof electronics are completely possible you just seal the outer case look at underwater digital camera and video recorders. The general question would be why? If your silly enough to be using your iphone on the toilet then sooner or later youl find a way of destroying it:D I work for a forklift company and the entire range is highly ip rated you can go to town on the electric trucks with a steam cleaner (logic cards motors etc) and never have a problem. It just means lots of epoxy and expensive connectors. Most usb connectors on phones etc should be short circuit proof anyway its just the gaps in the case that let the water in to cause problems.

You can have anything if you pay the right price!!!!!

quick question to do with this. Are there eny waterproofed touchscreens? I have seen cameras and a few basic model phones waterproofed, but not one with a touchscreen

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
If your silly enough to be using your iphone on the toilet then sooner or later youl find a way of destroying it:D

The fact that water damage is so common that there's a chemical "water detector" inside an iphone which exists pretty much purely to void your warranty indicates that it happens *very* often.

quick question to do with this. Are there eny waterproofed touchscreens? I have seen cameras and a few basic model phones waterproofed, but not one with a touchscreen

A touch screen is a plate of glass, as long as the edges are sealed it's by nature pretty water proof... The issue I see is with the input, capacitance isn't going to work well when covered in water, and neither is resistive if you are under pressure aka diving...

There are underwater cases for touch screen devices like the iphone and the such that partially work, but they of course have limits...

The fact that water damage is so common that there's a chemical "water detector" inside an iphone which exists pretty much purely to void your warranty indicates that it happens *very* often.

That is why my warranty covers 'lost' devices as well ;) Anyway for my phone that detection strip is placed on the removable battery, nothing a battery swap can't fix, but something I'm sure most consumers don't have a clue about...

And yes it happens quite often since people are attached to these devices...

it's coming... the companies you talk off use some kind of baking process after spraying them with some kind of nano substance which repels water..

there's a couple of new mobile phones going to be using this technique very soon, as for electronics, you can approach an existing company with your existing phone or electronics and for a price will coat it for you..

but you're going to need housing for the device whatever it is, 1 scratch would surely be enough to stop the water repelling.