Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Will an AOC - 23.6" LED HD Monitor work with my OLD PC?

I have a Dell Optiplex Desktop Computer GX620 3.0G 2GB 160GB and was wondering if I buy a new AOC - 23.6" LED HD Monitor, will they be compatible or how can I make them work? :confused:

These are all the stats I can find on my PC if it helps. If you need something more, tell me, and I'll try to find it.

Manufacturer - Dell
Manufacturer Model - GX745
Processor Type - Pentium D
Processor Speed - 2.8 GHZ
Memory Installed - 2GB
Memory Capacity - 8GB
Memory Type - DDR2
Memory Slots (Total) - 4
Hard Drive Size - 160GB
Hard Drive Type - SATA
Optical Drive Installed - DELL 48X CD-RW/DVD-ROM COMBO DRIVE - Watch DVD's & CD's
Network Card - 10/100/1000Mbps
Modem - N/A

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
As long as they have compatible connectors, they will almost certainly work together.

But for best image quality you need the graphics circuitry in your computer to operate at the native resolution of the monitor. The monitor's native resolution should be stated by the manufacturer. I Googled your description of "AOC 23.6" LED HD Monitor" and found a product page that stated a resolution of 1920×1080@60Hz but you should check the product information for the exact model you're considering. If your computer's video system is capable of the same resolution and frame rate, you should be sweet.

I do believe the PC has VGA input/output. The resolution is 1920X1200, I found out.

If that's the case, I should be able to make it work?

KrisBlueNZ

If the PC's output is VGA and the monitor can accept VGA, and the monitor's resolution is 1920x1200, you just need to find out whether the PC can generate video at 1920x1200 through its VGA output, and at a suitable frame rate (typically 60 Hz, non-interlaced).

Go to the screen resolution settings and see whether that resolution is listed. You may also need to turn off the option to "hide modes that this monitor doesn't support" to get a complete list of the resolutions supported by your video hardware.

Okay, I'll check that out! Meanwhile, both the PC and Monitor support DVI input/output. Would that work better/the same?

KrisBlueNZ

DVI is a much more modern standard than the 15-pin D-sub VGA standard. While VGA does have support for monitor identification, DVI is much more powerful, and uses a standard resolution of 1920x1200 at 60 Hz, which is exactly what you want.

Okay, that's nice to know! Thanks a lot for your help! :)
I for some reason thought VGA was the better way, but It's good to know in that case I can use DVI!

I use an Dell GX620 (VGA output from its original graphics card) with a 17" Targa 'Visionary' flat screen monitor.

From 'Display' in the PC's control panel I can choose from 5 display resolutions from 800 x 800 to 1280 x 1024

KrisBlueNZ

pebe, do you have any documentation on the video card's capabilities? If he uses DVI, can the card generate 1920x1200 at 60 Hz non-interlaced?

KrisBlueNZ

Thanks pebe.

TRAPTRAP, I hope you don't have this same card - according to the specifications, it doesn't have a DVI output!

You'd better try to find the chipset number for the video card you have. This information might be in the manual or electronic manual; it may be available through Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters or in a comment in the .INF file in the driver directory (the.INF file name can be found through the Device Manager). In the worst case, Google the part number marked on the main graphics chip on the board, or the part number printed on the graphics board.

KrisBlueNZ

The Dell specification sheet for the GX620 doesn't state the maximum graphics resolution, but the sheet for the GX745, which uses the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 (which is part of the Q965 chipset) states a maximum resolution of 1920x1200. It doesn't state a frame rate, nor whether this is interlaced or not, but I think you should be safe buying the monitor.

KrisBlueNZ

Yeah, that's the one I found too. But that's for the 745 model, and according to post #1, you have a GX620. Or am I missing something?