Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Will a lightbulb inside a ceramic cube generate far infrared?

Would an incandescent lightbulb put inside a cube made of ceramic tiles effectively generate far infrared heat?

For instance if you paint the inside with heat tolerant black paint.

Last edited:
Far infrared is heat. Heat is far infrared. Every form of energy winds up as heat.
The infra-red generator you describe cannot fail

Hmm... you're not trying to make a far-infrared laser by any chance, are you?
(You have a lot of seemingly related queries.)

No, I meant will the far infrared radiate from the outside of the tiled box in all directions?

So what is the difference in frequency between a ceramic infrared heater and a metal element radiator?

Sound can be used as an analogy.
Imagine a piccolo being played in its upper registers, with lots of birdsong and bats squeaking; this will be my analogy for light. The high frequency sounds are at a range of frequencies, just as light is in a range of colours.
Now imagine an army of monsters wearing lead-soled boots doing a jig on a steel bridge. Laughing yet?
The monsters make lots of bass noise; this is my analogy for heat.

The ceramic heater makes the same difference to the exact frequency of the heat radiation that replacing the monsters with WWII tanks would make to the noise.
:)

So if you were to put a heating element inside a ceramic material you would call both infrared but the ceramic would lower the frequency compared with the bare element?

So if you were to put a heating element inside a ceramic material you would call both infrared but the ceramic would lower the frequency compared with the bare element?

:) Voltaic - it feels like you're trying to learn some rather subtle things about quantum physics by asking a series of questions. It's difficult for me to answer some of these questions, firstly because this is not my specialty area, and second because the questions don't seem quite right.

Doing my best with the first quoted question, I'll say that everything which is hot radiates infrared.
The other question in the same sentence - about lowering the frequency - doesn't quite work for me. That question, about frequencies, seems to betray a much deeper need for knowledge than I can fill.

Ok thanks.

In that first article on thermal radiation it said that a person can reabsorb most of the radiation they loose through bouncing back off of furniture, walls etc.

I have a chair with open sides, what would be a good material I could attach (ie. screw on) to the sides in winter to return lost radiant thermal energy (that I could disattach in summer). So I could retain significant amounts of radiant heat that could otherwise be lost?

Last edited:
Ok thanks.

In that first article on thermal radiation it said that a person can reabsorb most of the radiation they loose through bouncing back off of furniture, walls etc.

I have a chair with open sides, what would be a good material I could attach (ie. screw on) to the sides in winter to return lost radiant thermal energy (that I could disattach in summer). So I could retain significant amounts of radiant heat that could otherwise be lost?
I use a sweater, but I suppose you can make an egg chair : Chair Image