Maker Pro
Maker Pro

G24 electric lightbulb sockets

I had my house rewired six years ago and was made to have G24 sockets. I hate them! Two of them failed and I had them replaced by an electrician.

A third has now failed and I want to replace it myself. I am perfectly capable of putting my old bayonet fitting back, but I cannot remove the G24 fitting. I have looked everywhere and there seems to be nothing to unscrew. I am tempted just to cut it off, but I am afraid that this would leave the lead too short.

I am an amateur who can follow basic instructions, but I only have very basic skills and tools. I would be grateful for advice.

I have been waiting for a specific qualified electrician to come for three weeks, but I am getting desperately sick of sitting in the dark at my computer. No one wants to come and do a small job like this.

I am of the generation that had to fit their own plugs if they bought any electrical items: putting on a light socket is much easier than that: I have done it before and have never had any problems. My difficulty is working out how to remove the old light fitting.

Are your sockets the quick-connect type, such as this ? If so, the wires are push-fit. They might pull out with considerable force, or you might be able to use a narrow-bladed screwdriver or similar tool to release the wire grip. As a last resort the wire would have to be cut off.

Thanks Alec_t for your helpful reply. I still can't get the wretched thing off, but at least I know it is designed to be difficult and I am not being stupid. I will try the electrician again. I don't like these G24 light fittings at all, and with three out of eight in my house having failed so quickly, I think that the particular brand I have must be faulty and am going to have all five changed back to good old bayonet ones.
I have noticed that if I accidentally turn the failed light on, although the lightbulb does not come on (and yes, I have tried several bulbs that I know are working), the socket gets red hot. I have taped the switch up now.
There are so many jobs that I used to be able to do *safely* myself that seem more difficult now! I will watch with interest to see what technique the electrician uses to remove the fitting (if he ever comes). Thank goodness it is midsummer and there is natural light for longer.

the socket gets red hot
That is obviously dangerous and indicates a poor connection internally. I hate just-push-the-wire-in type connectors, because contact is (usually) essentially made at only two diametrically-opposed points of the wire's circumference, whereas with a screw-down type connector (a) the screw exerts, directly or indirectly, greater pressure on the wire than a springy contact ever could and (b) the wire gets squashed and provides a greater contact area.

In most countries these dichoric lamps have been either discontinued or down graded to a much lower output wattage. Reason being they are in many instances the source of house fires due to the excessive heat they produce. And what is the first thing some insulation installers do? mmm...cover them over.

Get a lecky to replace with LED fittings. They are relatively cheap these days and are now available with a marker on the box indicating their ability to be installed near timber framework or indeed "covered up" with no adverse effects.

You may well think you have done things "safely" in the past, whereas I believe you should just think yourself lucky until now and don't muck with it.