Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why is this Happening to Me?

bertus

Hello,

Here is some more info on the "manhattan style" prototyping, that @hevans1944 mentioned.

Bertus

Attachments

• _manhat.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
  • HG-MANHAT1.pdf
    436.7 KB · Views: 2
  • HG-MANHAT2.pdf
    349 KB · Views: 1
  • manart_short.pdf
    919.1 KB · Views: 1
I would recommend him using stripboard if he does not use it. It is much more similar to his prototype board, so it would certainly be easier than the other types.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I remember opening up my first "pocket sized" transistorized radio, made in Japan of course, and was astounded to see components (mainly resistors) mounted perpendicular to the printed circuit board, with the "top" lead bent over and placed in a nearby hole in the PCB. I had been taught to carefully bend the component leads at a right angle to the body of the component and then place the component flat on the board, the two leads being appropriately spaced of course. The "Japanese way" seemed "cheating" to me, although I must admit it allowed a considerable reduction in board space... real handy if your goal was to fit a six-transistor superheterodyne broadcast AM/FM receiver, along with a tiny little loudspeaker, in the breast pocket of a shirt. Of course, back then, most people used a crystal earphone to listen. I never checked to see if my pocket radio produced stereo output when tuned to an FM station. In fact, I am not at all sure FM stations transmitted stereo programming when I purchased that radio.

Anyhoo, this may have been the first instance of "Manhattan style" assembly, but using a printed circuit board with real traces and real pads with holes for component leads. IIRC, it did not have traces on the component side (a genuine feat of layout skill) of the single-sided PCB. With true Manhattan style construction of course, the components are on just one side, the copper side of the board. If there is any copper on the other side (not required) it may serve as an additional "ground plane" or perhaps a power plane.

So, for many decades I always laid out printed circuit boards with components (resistors especially) laying flat against the board. This had some advantages in routing traces under the components instead of around them, as well as avoiding most component side jumper wires that are usually necessary for single-side copper laminated boards.