Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why is this Happening to Me?

This keeps on happening to me.

I put together a circuit on a breadboard. I get it to work.

I then try soldering it on a permanent board. Doesn't work.

I am sure I screwed up along the way, and I know you can't help me as I have provided zero specifics, but my question is more general.

Is this a common problem for beginners? (ie: failing to succeed when going from breadboard to regular board?).

And, if it is, what are some of the things that cause it.

I do this so often that I labelled a cardboard box "Circuit Cemetery" for all the circuits I have screwed up. lol ;-(

Yes, I am not giving up. I am going to keep doing it until In find out where I am screwing up.

On a more positive note, I told myself that I will not be looking at Youtube videos and simply copying circuits.

So, I spent many hours over the past week learning Ohms Law, Kirchoff's current and voltage laws etc.

Because of this, I was able to modify components in a circuit so that I can apply a higher voltage. You folks can probably do that in your sleep, but for me, it is a big breakthrough. That's because I am starting to understand why things work- rather than just blindly copying people.

On it goes.....

Nothing wrong with copying already established circuits or code etc. just as long as you understand there is a lot of garbage out there.
Being able to differentiate is the thing.

Great to hear. The second part, anyway.
Example circuits are always good. Whether they are great and you learn from them, or whether they are terrible and you learn from working out why, you learn from them.
Keep at it.

Harald Kapp

I told myself that I will not be looking at Youtube videos and simply copying circuits.
That is a wise decision. Many of these videos may be good if you know what you do, but in my experience not well suited for beginners.

I am sure I screwed up along the way, and I know you can't help me as I have provided zero specifics, but my question is more general.
You sure are.
Maybe some advice anyway (along the lines of the old adage by @Bluejets but more specific):
  • Do not build the complete circuit in one part, then test it. Instead build parts of the circuit only and on the way measure each connection for correctness (are the right pins connected? is the conductivity good?).
  • Check the pinout of your components not twice but three times.
  • Did you look at the components from the correct side (some datasheets show top view, some bottom view, some both)?
  • Is the component oriented correctly (it is easy to swap left and right sides if the component is mechanically symmetric)?
  • Have a copy of the schematic at hand and mark every component you placed and every connection you made (e.g. with a colored pencil). In the end no component and no connection may be left unmarked.
  • If possible use color coded wires for your connection (e.g. red = V+, black = V-m green = signal input, .blue = signal output --- the colors are irrelevant, important is you use them consistently). That makes it easier to follow your connections.

Thanks for all the advice. I succeeded in building the circuit. Turns out I had a LED connected backwards. I am still getting used to reading schematics. In the circuit below, Where L1 connects to C1 and then also to Q1's collector, I had the positive rather than the m=negative of the LED running to C1 and Q1. I did not realize that after the downward pointing triange that represents the L1, that is is a negative streaming from there. I thought the positive continued.

Harald- thanks for writing out that list of tips, Some of them, i started doing, but others did not occur to me.

Attachments

The circuit you found will slowly destroy the transistors if the battery is higher than 8V and the LEDs are red.
Because, a capacitor charges to about 9V - 2V for a red LED= 7V. Then when this transistor turns on it causes the base of the other transistor to go near -7V but most little transistors have an absolute maximum reverse base-emitter voltage of only 6V.

Attachments

• multivibrator voltage problem.png
    multivibrator voltage problem.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the tips. I used L1 because that is the way the person had it labelled in their diagram. But point taken.

Primarily, I built this to practice putting breadboard circuits on soldered circuits.

I find stripboard or veroboard to be the most error prone method of building things. For any permanent circuit I make a PC board. In this case the software can check every connection against the schematic, so it pretty much never comes out connected wrong,though I often end up having to add a capacitor or two after the fact. When I install chips with closely spaced pins, I check all adjacent pins to make sure they are not bridged before I ever power the circuit up. I also check closely spaced tracks the same way.

If you must use stripboard, you can get free software that will allow you to design the circuit for the stripboard and check the connections just like PCB CAD software.

Bob

I design electronic circuits on stripboard because it is quick and it exercises my brain. I cut the strips to length to make the layout compact then the strips, parts and a few short jumper wires complete the circuit.

AS I've said before, one of the biggest stumbling blocks when prototyping or even building a developed design is building it in one hit. Most, but not all, circuits can be broken down into smaller blocks. You can then build and set to work one block at a time then add the next and so on. This comes from a hard learnt lesson from some 50 years ago.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I often use a Vector pad cutter, a hand tool that creates a small circular island, or pad, surrounded by an annular ring of removed copper on an copper-clad bare board after you drill a pilot hole for the pad. Components are mounted through the hole in the pad and soldered in place, just as you would on a Veroboard or a printed circuit board. The tool is also available without a handle, which is handy if you have a drill press or CNC arbor plus carbide drills and need to make more than a few dozen pads. For "Manhattan" style construction (popular in prototype RF work) hollow, diamond-edged, circular cutters in various diameters for use in a drill press are available from this company.

Some folks use a CNC router to make isolated traces on bare copper boards, but that can take a long time for moderately complicated circuits. Bare copper-clad boards are readily available for making printed circuit boards as @BobK mentioned, so many electronics hobbyists may have a few pieces laying around. It's a personal decision by the hobbyist whether to use point-to-point wiring or to make a PCB.

Circuit construction using donut pads you make on bare copper-clad board is similar to using Veroboard except you provide your own wires to connect components, sometimes using the component leads for this purpose if they are long enough. My favorite connection method is ordinary 24 AWG tinned buss wire, with a Teflon insulating sleeve cut from a roll of same to whatever length is needed... remember, bare copper-clad board will short out connections that aren't insulated from the board! But that bare board also makes an excellent ground plane too. And the other side can often be used as a power plane if it is copper-clad too.

I also sometimes use 30 AWG wire-wrap wire to make connections, but that requires a good stripping tool, and stripping the wire slows things down. Who isn't in a hurry to see if their project will work, especially after confirming that a solderless breadboard rendition is satisfactory? Wire-wrap wire is especially good for wiring DIP (Dual In-line Package) sockets that have short solder-tails for PCB mounting instead of having wire-wrap posts.

If you are using expensive ICs that come in round cans with tiny gold-plated leads, it makes sense to invest a few bux for sockets to mount them... those sockets need either a PCB or 30 AWG wire-wrap wire to connect to the rest of your circuitry. I will admit it has been a few years since I've had to do this, but I discovered one of those shiny round cans with the tiny wire leads in my junque collection the other day. It's obsolete of course, and a replacement is probably only obtainable at a huge cost from one those companies that buy up the last production run of a part and hold on to it for years, decades even, so they can reap a huge profit from anyone who really, really, needs one. But it might be fun to play with the one I happen to have, just to recall how we did it "back in the day.":)