Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What Kind of Power Plug is this [PIC]

I pulled a bonehead move today, I bought a power strip from the swap meet, without noticing that the end of it is not a standard plug!

It has 3 flat male conductors, but the casing is that of a female! I'm not even sure if it's meant to work for normal u.s power. I searched ebay, but I have no idea what it's called so I couldn't find anything useful. What do I need to buy so that I can plug into a standard outlet?

Thanks!

Attachments

• plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 151
It's an IEC60320, of the C19/C20/I/J family, rated at 250V & 16A.
You sometimes find them on powerful UPS's & isolation transformers.
Examples:
Female for cable: Bulgin PX0599
Female for panel: Schurter 5216X9990A1
Female for panel: Otto Heil 5216X9990B1
Male for cable: Otto Heil 1612XAAA0A81 + HN14.46A
Male for cable: Otto Heil 1612XAAA0B81 + HN14.46A
Complete cable: Bulgin C19 - H05VV-F3G 1.50 - VII (european type mains plug)

On the back of PC's you find the C13/C14/E/F family rated at 10A.
On ungrounded small devices you find the figure 8 shaped C7/C8/C/D family rated at 2.5A.
On grounded laptop supplies you find the C5/C6/A/B family also rated at 2.5A.

You'll notice that the design & casing of all these plugs & sockets are made in such a way that it's impossible to get in touch with its live conductors (by simple means), unlike the US type - which is open/bare even when mated.

But if you only want to plug the strip in the wall outlet you could just cut off that plug and connect the wire into an ordinary grounded mains plug - according to your nationality. Center pin is ground (yellow/green conductor).
I don't know about any adaptors for these, exept for a complete cable (like the Bulgin C19).

Thanks!

I thought of cutting the casing, but since the conductors are flat, they won't fit the round(ish) style plugs here in the U.S anyways.

I'm going to try Home Depot and see if they have anything that can mate and adapt to this thing. I'll post what I find!