Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is the actual purpose of a Capacitor?

I can't seem to understand capacitors in our everyday use! I understand that capacitors hold a charge, however, what is the purpose of that charge? Does it give of an Amp drop much like the resistors do for the voltage drop? Also, if I'm building a circuit, how many capacitors and which capacitor value do I end up using? Is there a specific formula that I can use with other components to determine what value of Cap to use? Also how do I know if I should place it let's say before or after another component like a resistor or Variable Res or even LED!!! How can I use it ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Capacitors are used for a variety of things. Sometimes it's energy storage, other times to introduce a delay, and other times to allow AC (e.g. audio signal) through to an amplifier whilst blocking DC (bias voltages)

It has a sort of 'springy' behaviour when dealing with voltages.
As Steve has said, it has a variety of uses:
-Energy Storage. Commonly seen when car audio enthusiasts install a capacitor in their car... The capacitor will store a charge, and when the amplifier pulls really hard, the capacitor will discharge and help drive the amplifier if the car's battery or wiring can't keep up. This is a temporary solution though, as the capacitor can only store a finite charge, which will run out if it's not recharged in between bass notes.
-Delay. You can try googling RC circuits. This is different from remote control cars and relies on resistors and capacitors. The resistors will slow down the rate at which the capacitor charges. If you carefully select a capacitor size and resistor, you can determine what kind of time is required to charge it to a specific voltage. This is commonly used as a basic clock for electronics by filling and emptying the capacitor (Tick-Tock...) This time keeping method is not very accurate though, so it is only used for applications where a little bit or timing error is ok.
-DC and AC behaviour. Capacitors will charge when provided DC. when they are empty, current can flow through as they charge. When they are partially filled, they only allow a portion of the current through. When they are full... no more DC current will flow. AC on the other hand is a changing voltage that will constantly charge and discharge the capacitor, which means that current will be constantly flowing back and forth through the capacitor. You can take advantage of both of these characteristics by using a capacitor to remove DC from AC... sounds weird, I know... This is commonly used in audio, as some microphones require that DC is present for a bias... If this DC was amplified and fed to your speaker it would push itself out and stay there while it wiggled a little to make sound. Using a Capacitor removes this offset to the signal and speaker can operate around the 0V. That said... some AC cannot actually pass through a capacitor. If the capacitor is small enough, or the AC is slow enough the capacitor will charge almost right away and block a large portion of the AC. This is commonly used to make things like audio cross-overs to block or redirect higher frequencies to devices like tweeters.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you or provide any shady info, but there are lots of proof-readers on here that will call me out if I do ;)

As Gryd3 said, The AC behavior can be used to make a filter too! For example, if you want to measure a signal beyend 100Hz, you'll have to remove 0Hz(DC) to 99Hz out and the high pass filter (consists of R and C) will do the job ;)

You can also use a C to make various kind of filter, check it out here!:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_filter

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Yeah that's a reasonable summary Gryd3.

You can look at a capacitor from two points of view: the time domain, and the frequency domain. The frequency domain means that you look at the behaviour of a capacitor in response to different frequencies. This tends to be quite mathematical and I don't know of any real-world analogies that can make it easier to understand. I only have a basic knowledge of the frequency domain myself.

The behaviour of a capacitor in the time domain is much easier to explain and understand. A capacitor integrates current with respect to time. That means that the voltage across a capacitor changes over a period of time according to the amount of current that is fed into (or out of) it.

The basic definition of a capacitor's behaviour is:

dV/dT = I / C

I is current, in amps, and C is capacitance, in farads.

dV/dT is the "rate of change of voltage". dT is a change, or difference, in voltage (the voltage across the capacitor), measured in volts, and dT is a change or difference in time, measured in seconds. The unit for dV/dT is volts per second (V/s).

For example, a voltage change of 1V in 1 second is a dV/dT of 1/1 or 1 volt per second (1 V/s), which you could describe as fairly gradual. But a voltage change of 1000V in 1 second is a dV/dT of 1000/1 or 1000 V/s which is a more rapid change in voltage. A moderate change in a short time is also a high rate of change - 1V in 1 µs is a dV/dT of 1/1-6 V/s which is 1,000,000 V/s or 1 V/µs, a rapid rate of change.

A simple analogy for a capacitor is a container with an open top, with water in it. The container must have straight sides, or at least an equal cross-sectional area from the bottom to the top. This cross-sectional area corresponds to the capacitance, which I will get to later.

The depth of water in the container corresponds to the voltage, and current is represented by water flowing into, or out of, the container. You can imagine that with a constant flow of water (current) into the container, the voltage (water level) will increase steadily. With a constant flow of water out of the container, the water level will drop steadily.

The cross-sectional area determines how quickly the water level will change for a given flow. If the cross-sectional area is small, for example a chemistry test tube, the capacitance is small, and it will charge or discharge quickly, even with only a small flow. If the cross-sectional area is large, for instance a swimming pool, the level will only change slowly and it will take a lot of time, even at a high flow rate, to change the level significantly. This is like a supercapacitor.

Now you should be able to understand the formula dV/dT = I / C.

A higher current (I) will cause a greater rate of change in the voltage (dV/dT), and a lower capacitance (C) will also cause a greater rate of change. That formula just spells out the exact relationship. Quantities are defined as:

dV = change in voltage across the capacitor, in volts
dT = change in time, in seconds
I = current flow, in amps
C = capacitance, in farads.

That's a simple model of a capacitor, but it doesn't deal with negative water levels.

The direction of the voltage change corresponds to the direction of the current. In the simplest terms, if current (conventional current, which flows from positive to negative) is flowing into one plate, that plate will become more positive, or less negative, with respect to the other plate. This is always true. Sometimes talking of "charging" or "discharging" can become confusing, because capacitors (non-polarised capacitors, at least) can be "charged" in either direction (either plate can be positive with respect to the other), and "charging" is best defined as increasing the voltage between the plates without regard for its polarity. Therefore, a capacitor may be "charged" by a positive current, or by a negative current, depending on how it is used in the circuit.

One more thing I should mention. A farad is quite a large amount of capacitance. Most of the capacitors used in electronics are measured in smaller units using the standard SI prefixes. These units are pF (picofarads) (1 pF = 10-12 farads, a tiny amount of capacitance); nF (nanofarads) (1 nF = 10-9 farads), and µF (microfarads) (1 µF = 10-6 farads), a moderate amount of capacitance). You can actually buy capacitors with values from under 1 pF to hundreds of thousands of µF, and supercapacitors with capacitance of many farads. That's a range of over 14 orders of magnitude, which dwarfs the range for other types of components such as resistors. Many different materials and construction techniques are used to cover this wide range though.

Now I hope you understand what a capacitor does but there is a lot to know about how they are used in a typical circuit. The main applications are decoupling, coupling, timing, slowing down and speeding up signals, filtering, and charge transfer. Some of those categories overlap. I'll post some more when I have time.

Edit: Correction. I may post more... someday :)

Last edited:
Okay I understand some of the terminology. Now it have a school project (due this Saturday), I must build and amplifier, I went ahead and purchase the LM386 8-pin Chip if I remember correctly, I looked at some schematics and they all use Capacitors but why you ask? I have no idea why the capacitors need to store a charge for the amplifier!!!!

Okay I understand some of the terminology. Now it have a school project (due this Saturday), I must build and amplifier, I went ahead and purchase the LM386 8-pin Chip if I remember correctly, I looked at some schematics and they all use Capacitors but why you ask? I have no idea why the capacitors need to store a charge for the amplifier!!!!
Depends on where it is in the circuit. It could be filtering out noise (Higher Freq. AC) from the DC power line close to the chip. It could be used to remove a DC offset from the Audio signal. It could be storing a charge to help keep the input voltage to the chip constant as the current draw from them changes. It could be used as a High/Low/Band Pass filter.
These were all discussed above, where they are in the circuit will determine what the purpose is.

In the LM386, one capacitor is used to bypass a resistor in the feedback loop to control the gain.

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd

Do you have to build *any* amplifier, or are you supposed to build an amplifier using (say) the things you've been taught about transistors?

I'm only asking this because I don't want to see you get zero for not doing what the assignment asks.