Maker Pro
Maker Pro

What is ohms law (was Ic=C x dv/dt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it becomes patently obvious that circuit analysts should model current flowing through a capacitor without being assaulted by curmudgeons claiming that Maxwell was wrong. Case closed.

Case misstated. Current can exist in the branch containing a capacitor without the charge actually passing through the capacitor itself. This is due to the ability of the capacitor to store and deplete charges on opposite sides of the dielectric. This action can only exist for a finite period of time in one direction, called the transient time. Circuit analysis concerns itself with branch currents, not currents present in the component themselves.

Max was not wrong about his equations, only about what he named one term of one equation. The mathematical relationship of the term is correct, however.

Ratch

Hi All,

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. Introducing the constant of proportionality, the resistance, one arrives at the usual mathematical equation that describes this relationship:

{\displaystyle I={\frac {V}{R}},}
ccb6636ea16861f62089604333e92855888f0db2

where I is the current through the conductor in units of amperes, V is the voltage measured across the conductor in units of volts, and R is the resistance of the conductor in units of ohms. More specifically, Ohm's law states that the R in this relation is constant, independent of the current. If the resistance is not constant, the previous equation cannot be called Ohm's law, but it can still be used as a definition of static/DC resistance. Ohm's law is an empirical relation which accurately describes the conductivity of the vast majority of electrically conductive materials over many orders of magnitude of current. However some materials do not obey Ohm's law; these are called non-ohmic. Understanding the ohm's law wheel is not much difficult, if you clear your concepts before going forward. For any kind of help regarding physics and electronics, you may ask me.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.