Maker Pro
Maker Pro

what AWG cable to use for cordless drill + car battery

Like you said, there are too many factors to answer this. The physical load applied, and the gear reduction of the drill motor are likely the most important.

The op has not replied to give more details, so to further contemplate the possibilities is pointless.
Perhaps he has come to realize; this is a silly idea.

Thanks for the input guys. To answer the questions - it's a 17v cordless drill powered by a 12v battery, and a big heavy steel sliding gate.

I've built the hardware and the drill has more than enough power to open/close the gate so I know it's not a silly idea :p. The drill turns a capstan with rope wound around it (to open/close the gate) with a gear ratio of 1:4

I 3d printed the capstan and the gears, as well as other parts, in ABS. Anyways, for those non-believers, it does work and works very well, I just want to replace the thick 1 strand copper cable with more flexible (less brittle) cable.

I'm going with the 8 AWG cable, I bought some and it looks thick as. I'll give it a go and will post a video up of my gate when it's done for all you non-believers ;)

I believe it works, I just don't think this is something that will be working years from now. (Unless that is one whimpy gate) Personally, I would opt for a real ac motor powered from household.

I pictured your gate being about 50 to 100ft from your garage where you would keep your battery. If that's the case, voltage drop will be a concern aside from the cost of cable.
How are you going to keep the battery charged?
I look forward to seeing your video.
Best of luck.
John

Yea, I don't expect it to last years and years - this is just a cheap hillbilly gate opener for now until we move and no longer need it - cost less than $100 in parts to make.

If the gears etc. fail eventually then i'll re-print them, and if the drill dies then i'll replace it with another cheap one, so it's all good.

The car battery is in a box with the drill & capstan mechanism, and it's topped up during the day with a solar panel.

Will post up a video of my good work soon.

Cheers,
Michael