Maker Pro
Maker Pro

WELLCAM: ROUND 2

This project is in the que and approaching rapidly. My last efforts regarding this project, resulted in quite an acquisition of knowledge related to video workings. An off the cuff WAG, concerning my first attempt at fabricating an acceptable remote camera system, is, the DC level of the video signal was a major player in the degradation of the actual camera scene. It was simply my inexperience in video work that blinded me to the problem. (If that was indeed the primary problem). I will be starting this project with a camera that I have on hand. I still wish to find a smaller camera as my idea of eliminating buku labor, is to have camera and its enclosure be able to pass though a 5/8" hole. I have no doubt that I will soon be seeking some answers.
CAMERA 2.1.png

Thank you Harold, I will look into it. The camera still has to be mobile and scenes viewable while it is 400 feet below grade, down an eight inch hole. On a related matter, I need to set up some surveillance cameras on a distant property. Unfortunately, it is my impression that WiFi is nonexistent in the area. I am going to start my search with "Blink" devices. I am guessing that I will require a repeater and a tall mast on which to set it, in order to use cellphone communication.

There is a cell tower within 6 to 8 miles but I am not in "line of site". I was under the impression that repeaters were off the shelf devices. I may very well be using the wrong term. One that I have seen was Wilson brand.

Harald Kapp

I may very well be using the wrong term
Before going into further discussion we need to have a clear and common understanding what we are talking about:
- cellphone service which requires the infrastructure, a provider a cellular radio and last not least a SIM card
- WiFi which is a wireless local LAN service that doesn't require the above but WiFi capable devices at both ends.

There is a cell tower within 6 to 8 miles
How does that match a wire bound solution you seem to prefer? Surely you wouldn't want to put miles of video cable underground?

On a related matter, I need to set up some surveillance cameras on a distant property.
Are we (am I) mixing two different issues here? If so, please clarify and open a separate thread so we can deal with the questions individually, please.

Yes, I did mix two projects here. I strayed off on a tangent. One project is the Wellcam. In this project I would like to find a relatively inexpensive color video camera. I have noticed that medical procedures are a big user of cameras on flexible instruments. It has been my observation that anything related to medical devices are priced a magnitude higher than say security equipment. Sometimes justified I would guess. Ideally the Wellcam camera and waterproof enclosure will pass through a 5/8" diameter hole and be controllable as to viewing direction. I am currently planning on fine robotic arms to aim and stabilize the camera. Typically the water wells that I will examine will be 300 to 400 feet deep. I'm thinking this discussion may fit the optics category. Does that seem appropriate?

I then mentioned parts of another personal project. I desire to mount security video cameras, which will view a property that is a little beyond the fringe of reliable cellphone reception. I suggested that a cellphone repeater may be a fix. The cellphone system would be how I would transmit scenes from the security cameras. Seem reasonable? This topic may fit better into a communications category, perhaps.