Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Voltage Upper Circuit - Prebuilt solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm busy experimenting with insect zappers and need some advice.

I'm currently using a circuit I found inside a commercial bug zapper product, the product unfortunately malfunctions as soon as you let it run for long periods of time (it's meant to be switched on only for a few seconds, then switch it of if you've zapped the bug). The circuit contains a 4kV capacitor, some transistors and I'll need to go check again to remember the other components - effectively it converts 3V DC (2xAA battery) to 4000V and when something touches two wires simultaneously, the capacitor discharges and fries the insect.

I'm looking for something that's prebuilt that can convert DC from a transformer (can be anything from 1.5V to 12V) to a 4kV - 8kV (I'm guessing it needs to be AC to effectively deliver a lethal shock to a an insect?) range which I can fed straight through a grid of wires which can then be used to zap insects instead of having to build a whole circuit for it.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Anything you build that provides 4000 V from an AC mains source can be LETHAL. This is an especially dangerous idea to incorporate into a bug zapper with exposed wires. Clearly, you don't have enough knowledge or experience to "play around" in this area... you don't get DC from a transformer is one clue. And insects, AFAIK, are killed by the arc, which is hot plasma. AC or DC makes no difference as long as there is enough voltage and stored energy (NOT LINE POWER!) to form the arc and cook the bug. A neon sign transformer would kill bugs (and maybe you too), so you don't want to mess with that either.

Hop

davenn

I agree with Hop on this one

Please find a skilled electronics tech that can mentor you in person or at least, repair the faulty bug zapper you have

sorry to do this on your first post here, but for everyone's safety

thread closed

you can happily discuss other low voltage projects with us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.