Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vibration/shake switch

Hello everyone

I am thinking about using a vibration or shake sensor switch to turn on and off a device. I need the device to remain "on" once the shaking has stopped and then the next time it is shaken to go "off" or into "sleep" mode. Is this possible?

Many thanks again

I use an accelerometer for vibration detection, but you'll need additional circuitry to turn something on or off once the
accelerometer detects vibration.
So yes, this is possible.
If you tell us a little more about your application, we can probably offer more specific information.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply this sounds positive.

Basically I have built a small remotely operated device that consists of an Rf remotely operated switch, a rechargeable lipo 3.7v 1000mah battery and a buzzer. When I press the handset control button (which is s hit like a car key fob) it activates the buzzer to sound an audio beep. Without an on/off switch on the device the battery is running flat so ideally I would like to switch the device off and stop it "listening". Another problem is that the device is going to be fitted inside something which allows no future access to it so a simple slide on off switch on the device is not going to work cos you can't get to it. So I have been looking at this vibration switch as an option. Shake the device to power it up and shake it again to power it down. Hope this helps. Thanks again for your input

A sensor such as this could be used to trigger a latch, which in turn would control a transistor to turn you device on/off. Instead of the vibration sensor you could use a reed switch and magnet, perhaps.
the device is going to be fitted inside something which allows no future access to it
So how will you recharge the battery?

Thanks that sounds great just have to work out how that all goes together and connects to my existing device.

Good question about charging, It charges wirelessly by placing the device on a wireless charging pad.

It's not actually entirely out of the question to fit a charge point to the outer layer of the device but I am looking at all options. The outer layer is not a solid uniform shape. I am however looking at all options.thanks again for your continued help everyone

I have been looking at vibration sensors and shake switches and I like the look of the ones with like a spring inside. I want to try an ultra sensitive one, the most sensitive one I can get but there are many different types. Do you know what the codes mean and what is the must sensative one I can buy?

Thanks again

I use an accelerometer for vibration detection, but you'll need additional circuitry to turn something on or off once the
accelerometer detects vibration.
So yes, this is possible.
If you tell us a little more about your application, we can probably offer more specific information.

They're usually rated in 'G's for G-Force. You have sensitive ones under 1-G for vibration detection, to many G's
for shaking vehicles to make sure they'll hold together. Usually, the 'most sensitive' ones are pretty expensive if you
want accurate ones. I don't know what's available for something like your application. I'd be Googleing for them and
see what kind of hits you get.