Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Vehicle Speed Sensor.

Here's the dilemma. 2002 S10 4x4 that had the V6 in it, and I installed a V8 in it. Most of the time, new software is overwritten on the old software. Usually V8 software from another vehicle such as in my case, a 2002 Chevy Express V8.

Now, the software in the computer does diagnostics(circuit checks) on most of the sub systems including the vehicle speed sensor. Which is located on the transmission. The PCM checks for 2 things. 1. Pulses while the vehicle is moving, and 2. It checks to see if the circuit is open or closed AND it checks for a return voltage of either 5 or 12VDC.

My problem is, the software does not like seeing my current speed sensor of 976–2,354 Ω. What it wants to see is 1377–3355 Ω which is a completely different sensor.(no I cannot swap them)

My question is, can I insert resistor(s) inline to fool the PCM into thinking that it is the correct sensor?

Yes, I believe you can do that. Something >470 ohm should put the sensor in range. Hope the voltage it emits and the pulses per revolution count is the same as the ECU expects.

2 to 3K Ω seems too high for a speed sensor, but hey, go for it.
Come back with findings...

Inserting a resistor inline with the sensor seems to work fooling the PCM. I am no longer getting a code about it being the wrong sensor.

Thanks for the input!